Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSUSE 11.1 Tomorrow

Beans

OpenSUSE 11.1 Tomorrow

Well according to the countdown on the OpenSUSE website it's going to be released tomorrow.

Anybody looking forward to installing 11.1. I'm sure this release will be awesome just like the last one was. OpenSUSE is the only distro apart from Slackware that I Install and enjoy using.

I'm going to stick with KDE 3.5.10 this time because KDE 4.1 is still not there for me (I want a classic desktop not a folder view widget, but I understand this will be in 4.2).

Anyhow I'm going to download and install tomorrow anybody else giving it a go on release day?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: OpenSUSE 11.1 Tomorrow

I always test OpenSUSE on release. 11.0 was a vast improvement over the 10.x series, though still had some quirks, which I understand should be mostly worked out for 11.1. I'll be downloading. It may even replace one of my systems if I feel it worthy.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!

Yup, blank 8gig USB drive all ready to go .

If I can live with KDE4 this time, then it will go onto my hard drive and remain there until the next release .

Apparently Nvidia made some "improvements" in their driver to address the slow KDE4 desktop, so it will be nice to feel it as it should be.

Although I tried two of the latest drivers under my current version (11.0, KDE 3.x) and Enemy Territory didn't work properly. I had to revert back to an older Nvidia driver.

So it might come down to choosing KDE4 or ET, and KDE4 will always lose out there!

Maybe Nvidia will fix the problem they created while fixing the other problem ö_Ö.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, 19 hours to go as of this writing.

I'm excited about doing a minimal net-install for my ppc Mac.

I did a test-run with 11.0, and was very glad to see that OpenSuse took some of the pain away for those wishing to install onto very low-memory machines, or those who don't want a desktop environment - just a window manager like IceWM.

With Ubuntu or Debian, one usually installs just the commandline or server environment, and then apt-get's all the X components manually if they want to bring up a minimal system by themselves.

OpenSuse went just one step further by allowing for a minimal install that will put IceWM, xdm, a handful of useful apps, and even Cups for printing on the system for you. Nice!

Even though XFCE (Xubuntu for Ubuntu fans) is nice and slim, it still might be a bit bloated for those 64 to 128mb machines out there.

With the relaxed Eula, 11.1 might be a very serious environment for me now.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    I'm going to stick with KDE 3.5.10 this time because KDE 4.1 is still not there for me (I want a classic desktop not a folder view widget, but I understand this will be in 4.2).
    They backported that from 4.2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ingvildr View Post
    They backported that from 4.2.
    Yes, I just installed it the KDE 4.1 LiveCD (Might not bother with the DVD now). Wow it's amazing. I can have my icons my way and it's stable.

Beans

Although Slackware will stay on my main desktop and laptop, I will try openSUSE11.1 in VM and than try it on my test laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    Yes, I just installed it the KDE 4.1 LiveCD (Might not bother with the DVD now). Wow it's amazing. I can have my icons my way and it's stable.
    Yea i was planning on upgrading straight to kde 4.2 beta 2 but with how well its working atm i think i will just leave it, well done opensuse

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

downloaded it, but I can't get it past the 2 screen.
    probably a bad burn.
    I'll try again.
    danger! brain at work.
    Unity Linux

Beans

I loaded the KDE liveCD onto my test laptop. I haven't had time to play with it fully, but it looks as though most of the new stuff is under the hood. On the surface it looks like 11.0.
    I'll test multimedia, Yast and zypper stuff tonight.
    Last edited by Antman; December 19th, 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast