Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Default British Spell Checker Dictionary?

Beans

Question Default British Spell Checker Dictionary?

Greetings,

I'm new here and not sure where to post this, so please feel free to tell me where to go or to move this question.

Apparently, a British spell checker dictionary was installed as part of the default Ubuntu 8.10 installation even though I was very careful to select American English as the default language during installation (I've installed Ubuntu at least twice and was aware of the problem the last time I installed it, so was very careful about language selection). I am assuming there is a system wide dictionary involved here, since the British spelling is foisted upon me not only in Firefox but in other system applications with spell checkers such as gedit, although OpenOffice is unaffected and allows me to use words like "honor" without trying to change it to "honour", etc. I've been "adding" the American English spelling to the dictionary, but surely there must be a way to replace the whole thing in one fell swoop, I would hope.

Does anyone know where the dictionary I need to replace is located, and where I could find a suitable replacement, or am I totally off base here?

Thank you,

Ron

Beans

Re: Default British Spell Checker Dictionary?

I had the same question. You should have a U.S. English dictionary installed, which you can select by right-clicking in a text box and choosing "Languages -> English / United States" (you should also have a choice of British and Australian).

Beans

System > Administration > Language Support
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    System > Administration > Language Support
    This is not a solution to the stated problem. I have "English (United States)" selected in "System > Administration > Language Support"---I selected U.S. English as the default at installation---but the British English dictionary is used by default in Firefox. I'm not sure if it's a packaging bug or a problem in Firefox. See Launchpad Bug #320266
    Last edited by clconway; January 31st, 2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: — didn't work

Beans

In openoffice, "English(US)" can be set as the default language.
    I discovered it when I tried to turn on the automatic spellcheck function:

Tools > Options > Language settings > Languages
    You will see the empty field Western, and you can select the default language yourself.

Beans

From gEdit menus try "Tools/Set Language..." and select "English (United States)" rather than "English".

Works on Ubuntu 8.10, gedit 2.24.2

I am not sure why this is so hard to notice, but I wouldn't be at this forum myself if I had seen it the first time through.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bdentremont View Post
    From gEdit menus try "Tools/Set Language..." and select "English (United States)" rather than "English".

Works on Ubuntu 8.10, gedit 2.24.2
    Yup, that's the way to do it. Seems like it might be a good idea to set English (United States) as conditional default at install. "Tools/Set Language" is an easy fix, but not one that the average user should have to make.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clconway View Post
    I had the same question. You should have a U.S. English dictionary installed, which you can select by right-clicking in a text box and choosing "Languages -> English / United States" (you should also have a choice of British and Australian).
    Thanks, this fixes it in Firefox for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    Seems like it might be a good idea to set English (United States) as conditional default at install. "Tools/Set Language" is an easy fix, but not one that the average user should have to make.
    If that means that those of us who want British spelling have to change, don't even think about it! Being able to choose in a way that is really system wide, sure, but don't give me American spelling by default.
    Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    If that means that those of us who want British spelling have to change, don't even think about it! Being able to choose in a way that is really system wide, sure, but don't give me American spelling by default.
    Ubuntu does have a system-wide language setting which respects American vs. British spelling (e.g., try running <code>locale</code> at the console). There's no reason the firefox package shouldn't pick this up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast