Thread: Mercurial with Nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Mercurial with Nautilus

I keep a Mercurial repository on my server so that I can easily keep track of changes to my files and have them readily accessible for any computer. Many of my favorite applications also use Mercurial as a distribution method and for managing source code. Even though my heart belongs to the command-line, my new tablet laptop demands more from the graphical interface. So here is a quick tip to get started working with Mercurial graphically.

The Nautilus extension is not included in the Ubuntu repositories but there is a Personal Package Archive (PPA) available that does have it [1].
    In order to access the PPA start the Synaptic Package Manager from the System->Administration menu on the panel. From inside Synaptic select Settings->Repositories on the menu bar. In the new window change to the Third-Party Software tab and click the add button. Finally, copy/paste this into the newest window
    The deb source can be added as well
    Code:
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/gpoo/ubuntu hardy main
    Once the PPA is added just reload Synaptic and install
    Code:
    nautilus-mercurial-tortoisehg mercurial-tortoisehg mercurial mercurial-common
    Restart Nautilus using this command from the terminal
    Code:
    nautilus -q
    Now the right click menu has a new menu called Mercurial. No more typing

In order to clone a remote repository just right click in the desired folder and select Mercurial->Create Clone from the menu. The mercurial-tortoisehg window has many advance options but to clone a remote repository simply add the remote's url to the Source Path input box and click the clone button.

Now it is easy to create, synchronize, merge, and commit files to Mercurial repositories. All from a right click menu

Beans

Re: Mercurial with Nautilus

I followed thr steps u gave but i dont get any of the packages showing up in the package manager after adding the repositories and refreshing the list.

Btw, I actually already installed mercurial/tortoisehg using the instructions at http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/stable/wiki/nautilus but i dont seem to get any mercurial/tortoise options in nautilus.

Which is how i ended up on this thread.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Beans

No worries - i realized that i am running Ubuntu Intrepid and when i installed using apt-get it got a lower version of Mercurial (1.0.1 or summat) instead of 1.1.2. I downloaded and installed version 1.1.2 fpr i386 and then followed the instructions at the link: http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/stable/wiki/nautilus and i now have Mercurial options in Nautilus.

Phew!

Hope this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro

Welcome !

Is there available repository for Ubuntu Jaunty ?
    I'm thinking about this integration, with nautilus.

Regards

Beans
    Distro

The PPA above works with Jaunty as well.
    /* Christopher Lunsford
    binarymutant.org */

Beans

Is there a way to suggest this package inclusion in the official ubuntu repositories ? They already offer several GUI for mercurial but none of them is really usable...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Works great on Karmic

Beans

Works on Karmic as well but only with the debian packages for Intrepid (not Hardy)

Beans

Please help me,
    After followed the instruction here I got TortoiseHg menu when I right clicking any folder. But, the problem is if I click one menu under TortoiseHg menu there is nothing happen (no GUI showed at all). What should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ardinotow View Post
    Please help me,
    After followed the instruction here I got TortoiseHg menu when I right clicking any folder. But, the problem is if I click one menu under TortoiseHg menu there is nothing happen (no GUI showed at all). What should I do?
    I had the same problem, which is a result of using the intrepid package with a lucid version of nautilus and/or mercurial. This tutorial is now out of date - TortoiseHg is now included in the Universe repositories:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install tortoisehg-nautilus