Thread: Problem

Threaded View

Beans

Question Help please

Having issues with a game called Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, ive placed a similar thread before but i got different questions now.

-i was messing around with the game trying to fix a problem i had with it, now when i go onto it i get a black screen and my monitor saying "Out of Frequency" so then i tried using
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/games
    sudo rm -rf enemy-territory
    and it got rid of the enemy-territory file, so i thought id just reinstall and my prob should have gone away...but it didnt still black screen.
    I did some research and found out that there is a config file attached to programs that you install and i should use this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge
    but i dont know how to use that command properly comes up with

sudo apt-get remove --purge enemy-territory
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package enemy-territory

-lol this is the problem i was trying to fix when i messed up and got the first problem =P
    When i had the game working, i started it up but i had some of the game hanging off the screen (bottom). Wolf:ET is very temperamental when it comes to full screen and windows... so when im in the game its set to full screen and abit of its hanging off and its not really full screen, its more like in a window (so i can still see the desktop but cant move my mouse to the desktop)
    i was told to use
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    which would turn off compiz, but i still got the same issue...bottom of the game is off the bottom of the screen.

any help would be great, ive tried fixing it my self but only been using Linux for 3 days now and had to reinstall it few times cos i screwed up =P

Oh and how i got the first problem was while the game was starting up i moved the window which the game was in(while the game is starting i have about 3 sec where i can still move my cursor on the desktop) and when i released the mouse is jumped off the screen, i could only see a bit off it on the left side of my screen. Then i pressed ctrl Alt backspace, to restart and then when i went to the game again it went black like i said =D

feels like i never used a comp before now that im on Ubuntu so use to how Windows works.

-----------------------
    this is more of a programming question:
    i was learning C++ on windows and i know Linux uses different libraries and all. I was given this to get some of the files i need:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential
    which would give headers and libraries but how do i open gcc and g++, its not in the menus so i take it i need to use terminal to access them.

Again thanks for your time i know ive asked allot here and sorry for being so clueless
    Last edited by Nemix; December 15th, 2008 at 10:55 PM.