Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Do I need anti-virus/spyware software?

Beans

[SOLVED] Do I need anti-virus/spyware software?

I'm new to Ubuntu, and have it installed on a completely stripped machine--no windows on it. Will I need to install a program like Avast to keep Ubuntu safe from viruses? I've heard that Ubuntu does not get viruses, but I wanted to double check--I'm an xp/Vista survivor, so anti-virus/spyware programs seem like absolute necessities to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Do I need anti-virus/spyware software?

Quote Originally Posted by jalehtor View Post
    I'm new to Ubuntu, and have it installed on a completely stripped machine--no windows on it. Will I need to install a program like Avast to keep Ubuntu safe from viruses? I've heard that Ubuntu does not get viruses, but I wanted to double check--I'm an xp/Vista survivor, so anti-virus/spyware programs seem like absolute necessities to me.
    read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you dont need it, but if you have to have an anti virus program you can install clamav.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install clamav
    and if you want a graphical from end for clamav:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install clamtk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is a good idea to have antivirus software if only to keep yourself from passing email viri on to friends.

Beans

hi, humbly adding my article:
    http://godawski.oxyhost.com/viruslinux.html
    Keep it real. Keep it nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shooting Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Here is a post you should have a look at in addition to the Psychocats site to give yourself a clearer picture of security in Ubuntu. It was made by bodhizazen:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The chances of you unintentionally sending someone a virus and them being infected by it is so close to zero it would make a mathematician's eyes water. No, you don't need an anti-virus.
    "Daddy? Do pigs lay sausages?" - Little Miss PocketDog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Achetar View Post
    It is a good idea to have antivirus software if only to keep yourself from passing email viri on to friends.
    I honestly don't think this can be considered a good idea. You really can't be held responsible for someone else's computer security.

In general, you don't need a virus scanner. Every os has its own security measures, just make sure you use the right one (and a virus scanner is not among those measures for linux).
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Achetar View Post
    I completely disagree. In my humble opinion, the only people that NEED an antivirus application are those that run an email server, or some other production server that has file sharing access to Windows computers. But even the second one is a little iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.Godawski View Post
    hi, humbly adding my article:
    http://godawski.oxyhost.com/viruslinux.html
    Nice article man, well written and precise. And you stayed away from the "security by obscurity" arguement. Which (and I know you know this) is completely false.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepherte View Post
    I honestly don't think this can be considered a good idea. You really can't be held responsible for someone else's computer security.

In general, you don't need a virus scanner. Every os has its own security measures, just make sure you use the right one (and a virus scanner is not among those measures for linux).
    Completely agreed. There are much better antivirus programs for Windows than there are for Linux. And part of running a Windows OS is learning how to protect yourself and your data. Putting that off on someone else, especially someone else who has a secure system already, is wrong and is asking for trouble. You don't ask your neighbor down the street with a nice alarm system and two dogs to make sure no one breaks into your house. That would be your own responsibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaRL View Post
    You don't ask your neighbor down the street with a nice alarm system and two dogs to make sure no one breaks into your house. That would be your own responsibility.
    No one is asking you or anyone to install an A/V program. Some people who receive and share files with Windows users may want to install an A/V to make sure that they are not passing something off to their Win counterparts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast