Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox lost the minimize, expand and close buttons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Firefox lost the minimize, expand and close buttons

Today my firefox 3.0.4 has lost the top brown bar where the minimize, expand and close buttons are located. it also covers the Ubuntu menu bars that are usually at the top and bottom of my desktop (applications, places, system...... and on the bottom my open windows and the trash folder).

I found that there was a temporary fix for this problem by hitting F11 twice, but I have not been able to permanent fix. I have attached a screen shot so that you can see the problem.

do you have any ideas of a permanent fix for this problem.

thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Firefox lost the minimize, expand and close buttons

What video card are you using, with what drivers? I had some very strange experiences with the proprietry nVidia drivers for my GeForce 6200, mostly title bar issues.

Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

You need to prevent Emerald from loading at startup. That's what causing that. It's happened to me countless times.

Easiest path to a fix is to go into the Session manager, untick Emerald and restart.

There's also a Terminal command that will stop Emerald from loading along with Compiz at restart, but I'm behind my Windows machine at my office at the moment. If someone else doesn't post it, I'll see if I can't dig it up for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try to press alt+f2 and then type

Code:
    metacity --replace

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dorkdork777 View Post
    What video card are you using, with what drivers? I had some very strange experiences with the proprietry nVidia drivers for my GeForce 6200, mostly title bar issues.
    I have a nVidia. I am on an Acer Aspire 7520-5185 laptop. I have attached a screen shot of my hardware drivers (System>Administration>Hardware Drivers)

Here is the output of lspci
    Code:
    00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 ISA Bridge (rev a2)
    00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP67 SMBus (rev a2)
    00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Memory Controller (rev a2)
    00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Co-processor (rev a2)
    00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
    00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a2)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a2)
    00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 IDE Controller (rev a1)
    00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP67 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
    00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
    00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP67 AHCI Controller (rev a2)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP67 Ethernet (rev a2)
    00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
    00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP67 PCI Express Bridge (rev a2)
    00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 7000M (rev a2) (rev a2)
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:04.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
    01:04.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
    01:04.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
    01:04.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pconfig View Post
    Try to press alt+f2 and then type

Code:
    metacity --replace

Thanks that looks like it fixed it. I just restarted the computer and firefox and the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the help.

acreech

Beans
    Distro

Call it dumb luck or whatever you would like but I have lost the top buttons on my firefox that minimize, expand and close the program again.

I tried both suggestions posted here with no avail. I looked in System-> Preferences-> Sessions and could not find anything labeled "Emerald". I also tried alt+F2 then metacity --replace . This does not fix the problem either. This was how I fixed the problem last time.

I don't know if it was coincidental or not, but at the time that I lost this I was attempting to get a projector to work with my linux computer. There was two methods that I tried.

The first method was at the following site http://www.len.ro/2007/03/external-m...aptop-nvidia-/

The solution

Using the idea which I found on the forums I created a second configuration file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.external with the following device configuration:

Section "Device" Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200]" Driver "nvidia" Option "NvAgp" "1" Option "TwinView" "Yes" Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Clone" Option "MetaModes" "1680x1050,1680x1050"EndSection

Then I realized I can start a new X server on :2

Xorg :2 -ac -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.external

And then in a new terminal start a window manager (I used WindowMaker as you cannot start gnome twice)

export DISPLAY=localhost:2 (here is where the -ac is used)wmaker

I then switch to the new X with CTRL-ALT-F8 do my work and then finally when not needed anymore I close it without affecting my running X. In fact I found this method even handier as it’s a sandbox for all the applications I want to show and I will not get disturbed during the presentation by an incoming mail or message.
    The second method was by editing the xorg.conf file. The file was edited in the following manner. I added the following lines to the bottom of the file under "Section Device"

Code:
    #        Option  "TwinView"               "Yes"
    #        Option  "TwinViewOrientation"    "Clone"
    #        Option "MetaModes"    "1400X1050,1680X1050,1680X1050"
    I found that by commenting out these codes I can use my monitor on my laptop, but when I remove the "#" from each line, save and exit (both gedit and the terminal), then ctl+alt+backspace it will switch to the external monitor.

The last method should not have effected firefox. I believe that the first method should not have affected firefox either. To add to this, the problem only exists on my laptop monitor. When opening firefox on my projector the top bar is there.

I tried re-installing metacity through the synaptic package manager and I tried re-installing natilus through the synaptic package manager. I also checked the specs on my monitor to verify that the correct resolution is 1440X900. My screen resolution is currently set at 1440X900. I also tried re-installing firefox. Firefox seems to be the only thing affected by this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions to this problem?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by acreech; January 5th, 2009 at 07:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

permanent solution:
    System->Preferences->CompizConfig_Settings_Manager->Utility->Workarounds->uncheck_Legacy_FullScreen_Support

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

close firefox
    remove the .mozilla folder from your home folder
    start firefox again

This will remove all firefox settings from your machine. Starting firefox again after removing .mozilla folder will create a new .mozilla folder with default settings

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Dayya View Post
    close firefox
    remove the .mozilla folder from your home folder
    start firefox again
    Thanks that worked. I lost all my settings........ but it worked. I can put the bookmarks back from an old backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast