Thread: [SOLVED] sound problems in ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] sound problems in ubuntu 8.10

okay so i installed ubuntu 8.10, not an upgrade, new to it all still, anyways i had sound, then i installed my external sound card, its a sweets 7.1 usb sound card, i had sound, then i unplugged it and had no sound from the on board intel sound card, neither headphones nor speakers, i've browsed the forums for about a week and tried varing ideas put forward to the great minds of linux but none worked, so i plugged in the usb card again and had sound, so loud it nearly burst my ear drums, and im a dj so used to loud music lol. anyways managed to turn the volume down but now all i have is static (fuzzy sound) can just hear the music under it al but i cant seem to fix this problem, if anyone can hep get the intel chip working again that'd be great because i dont need the external card. just want to be abe to isten to music and watch videos as i used to. there are no start up sounds, but when you press a button to many times i get the beep. even the test button gives the fuzz. im using an imb thinkpad T23 if that heps. anyway thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: sound problems in ubuntu 8.10

so what, 46 views to this thread and no one has any ideas? thanks alot people!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chrismarsh1987 View Post
    so what, 46 views to this thread and no one has any ideas? thanks alot people!
    that attitude is not needed, as we are all volunteers here.

anyway, did you enable the onboard sound in the BIOS?

Beans

hi!

I have the same problem ....the sound worked fine...but...then suddenly it stoped working and i get some funny static something... so pls any help?! btw.. BIOS setings are fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you have Intrepid, you need to do this to get your sound working properly

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997506

If that does not work, you can go here for more help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zvonkojaz View Post
    hi!

I have the same problem ....the sound worked fine...but...then suddenly it stoped working and i get some funny static something... so pls any help?! btw.. BIOS setings are fine.

i played around with the sound settings and managed to get it working somehow, please leave a note on here if it works.