Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wave theme Brainstorm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb New Wave theme Brainstorm

Hi,

I'm the main creator of the theme New Wave

Here I'd like you to tell me what could be improved in the theme (now included in the community-themes package in Ubuntu 8.10) by posting a opinion about it. Feel free to share anything that bothers you or that you like so that I keep it in there. The subjects I'm most interested in are:

• Top part of the windows
    • Active/inactive windows feel
    • Metacity feel
    • Menus feel

You can currently find the theme's last version here .

P.S. I have made some changes to the theme that could be seen in the following picture (they are not final yet):
    http://www.piccdrop.com/images/1229331419.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New Wave theme Brainstorm

Hi dilomo,

I really like your theme, because it's dark-ish but still very usable. And most of all, it works great with Ubuntu, especially with the Human icon set, which is still my favourite.

This comes from a guy who's using Ubuntu since Dapper (that's over two full years now) and who could never stick too long with another theme than Human (minus the horribly dull window boarders, of course).
    No theme was usable and pretty enough for me after a few days trial. I always went back to "default".

That said, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with your theme.
    So the first advice I'd like to give you is: don't change anything major.
    Like the time you totally changed the close etc. buttons: not a smart move.
    I happen to like the new ones (as a matter of fact, I didn't like the old ones at all), but many others don't, so give them choice.
    Next time you change something that important, make sure to include both options (I know it's harder to maintain, but I think it's worth it).

The other thing is the dropdown menu.
    I think they used to be of the same color as the panel, the change used to irritate me when switching from Hardy to Intrepid and installing the latest version of your theme.
    Would be nice to have an option, if you want a white background in the menu or a grey one. I think both versions would be great.

Last but not least, the "glow" on buttons (you know, not when you hover with a mouse over them but when they appear to be "pre-selected") is both unique but sometimes irritating.
    I'm not sure if I'd be happy if you'd get rid of it but it might be a good idea to go for something more ordinary.

But generally: I like the theme as it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Forlong View Post
    Hi dilomo,

I really like your theme, because it's dark-ish but still very usable. And most of all, it works great with Ubuntu, especially with the Human icon set, which is still my favourite.

This comes from a guy who's using Ubuntu since Dapper (that's over two full years now) and who could never stick too long with another theme than Human (minus the horribly dull window boarders, of course).
    No theme was usable and pretty enough for me after a few days trial. I always went back to "default".

That said, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with your theme.
    So the first advice I'd like to give you is: don't change anything major.
    Like the time you totally changed the close etc. buttons: not a smart move.
    I happen to like the new ones (as a matter of fact, I didn't like the old ones at all), but many others don't, so give them choice.
    Next time you change something that important, make sure to include both options (I know it's harder to maintain, but I think it's worth it).

The other thing is the dropdown menu.
    I think they used to be of the same color as the panel, the change used to irritate me when switching from Hardy to Intrepid and installing the latest version of your theme.
    Would be nice to have an option, if you want a white background in the menu or a grey one. I think both versions would be great.

Last but not least, the "glow" on buttons (you know, not when you hover with a mouse over them but when they appear to be "pre-selected") is both unique but sometimes irritating.
    I'm not sure if I'd be happy if you'd get rid of it but it might be a good idea to go for something more ordinary.

But generally: I like the theme as it is.
    Thanks!

In the next release I will include both the current and the new metacity themes. The drop-down remained dark because it cannot be themed separately. Version 0.7 will be with white menus as 0.5.10 and any prev. I will probably include a version with dark menus.

This is the only pixmap theme that supports (nearly 80%) tab navigation (e.g. when you hit tab several times you can see where is the focus). That is the reason why I used this image. It is now fixed and each control has an image suited for it's form.

Other improvements are the separation of toolbar (as you can see on the preview image in my previous post) and small tweaks to the controls and especially to the check/radio buttons, tabs, expanders, entry combo boxes, default buttons and others. I have some more work on the tabs and I have to create a new metacity because this one has some design flows that has to be corrected. Here is the time to give me ideas of how these buttons should look like.
    Last edited by dilomo; December 15th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wink Re: New Wave theme Brainstorm

I don't really like dark themes, but I like yours very much, and I'm using it since hardy (downloaded from the wiki), and now I'm using the intrepid repos version. I replaced the metacity with the old one ( from this screenshot), because the current version window buttons don't looks good if I change the buttons order (set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout to "close:minimize,maximize" in gconf-editor), and I prefer the simples circles too.

Well, keep the good work with the theme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The crazy thing is that I have the same wallpaper on my Ubuntu install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

New Wave is my favorite theme. Thanks for making it!

The glow effect is one of my favorite features.

I've thought about asking for recommendations for wallpaper to match the theme.

My one criticism is that, in OpenOffice, the tooltips have a black border and black text with a transparent background. That makes it very difficult to read them. I don't know if that's within the theme definition, but with most other themes, the tooltips in OpenOffice have an opaque, yellowish background, so they're easy to read.

Edit: D'oh! You've fixed that already!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: New Wave theme Brainstorm

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    I don't really like dark themes, but I like yours very much, and I'm using it since hardy (downloaded from the wiki), and now I'm using the intrepid repos version. I replaced the metacity with the old one ( from this screenshot), because the current version window buttons don't looks good if I change the buttons order (set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout to "close:minimize,maximize" in gconf-editor), and I prefer the simples circles too.

Well, keep the good work with the theme.
    I'm currently wondering what type of buttons to choose: a single piece with three parts (like vista's buttons but not placed so high) or three separate buttons that are individual of each other. The last variant is getting old as style but is more customizable. The first one is trendy. Do you have any ideas of what material these buttons should be made (glass, metal ...)?

As far as wallpapers: every wallpaper that is a bit darker and with less details is good for the theme. If it could be in the warm color range it would be best. This site has good wallpapers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: New Wave theme Brainstorm

The theme is released and now you can give it a try by downloading it from here:

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=87134

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The color choice of unobtrusive colors is good. It's dark but not black. Tolerable. A few thoughts:

1. Music player is not the best place to see the controls. At least an open folder should complement it on the screenshot.
    2. Can't tell the difference between the active and non-active window.
    3. The default button outside glow looks weak. Probably it's a bad idea to make it outside at all.
    4. Strong border around the window controls and the weak gray window controls strain my eyes to find the required control. Besides, the border being all 3 controls together. Ever wondered why Apple and M$ made them different colors? Not to make people look for the needed control.
    5. the text on the buttons almost touches the button image (on the Отказване) button. Need some spacing.

Thanks for taking your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

One of the issues I have with this theme seem to be consistent in themes with black or dark panels. I have 2 icons in the notification panel that always seem to take on a different color than the panel. This does not happen in the "New Human" theme. It also doesn't happen in any of the Nodoka Dark themes. Is this based on the specific engine or any other settings that can be modified by the user?
    Trying Karmic Koala on an IBM Thinkpad T61
    Registered Linux User #397039

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast