Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Desktop Info App With Html Support (gtk-desktop-info)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Desktop Info App With Html Support (gtk-desktop-info)

Bruce
    patience my friend is a beautiful thing I have to admit that to you
    but I have to agree with you as long as I get what I want yesterday like you I am happy.

Well I am a self made man on span and div and I was just experimenting with your version modified it in about 3 versions to get what I wanted.
    so in a way thats all the knowledge I have on span and div lol

Paul

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post
    That should be:
    Code:
    LOCALE = nl
    (in lowercase)

And no, you don't need a language pack installed. I have yet to install the Spanish Language packs here (must do that soon), the app will get the Dutch language it needs from:
    Code:
    /usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/plugin_forecast.po
    I have checked and this file does exist.
    And I do lowercase now.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus4605 View Post
    no need to do that. did you put nl in caps? if so try in normal print.
    did you do a refresh or did you closed weather down and started it up again?
    As indicated above, I used lowercase now.
    I use a script to restart gtk-desktop-info.
    Just to be sure I have logged out and logged back in again.

Still I have the same issue. The screenshot shows -- AFAIK -- the important settings in the config file plus the result (still mixed English and Dutch) in my latest setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    When you got the "app", did you use Method #1 in the first post?
    I know you're testing on J.J. but if you got the latest from I.I. and it installed those really should exist. See attached.

And I do lowercase now.
    OK, that's a good thing.

As indicated above, I used lowercase now.
    I use a script to restart gtk-desktop-info.
    Just to be sure I have logged out and logged back in again.

Still I have the same issue. The screenshot shows -- AFAIK -- the important settings in the config file plus the result (still mixed English and Dutch) in my latest setup.
    The Dutch comes from the template I believe you got from Paul, or the Dutch text you have put in there. The "output" is in English.

I'd reinstall the app and see if you get the language files as seen in the image attached.

Chimo!
    Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I know you're testing on J.J. but if you got the latest from I.I. and it installed those really should exist. See attached.
    I'd reinstall the app and see if you get the language files as seen in the image attached.
    I think you misread my previous post
    Meaning: Files as indicated are available

However, maybe it does have to do with the fact that I an running it on J.J.
    Maybe this can be confirmed?
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans
    Hidden!

Bruce
    patience my friend is a beautiful thing I have to admit that to you
    but I have to agree with you as long as I get what I want yesterday like you I am happy.
    God grant me patience, and I mean right NOW!

Seriously: I really did want to play with it, it's a way to learn, and I simply applied what I do know, with an idea that if I put this stuff inside a table, it just might work, and ... SURPRISE! - it did. Colour me happy!

Well I am a self made man on span and div and I was just experimenting with your version modified it in about 3 versions to get what I wanted.
    so in a way thats all the knowledge I have on span and div lol

Paul
    Hahahahahahahahahaha! We is the same! (Don't tell my grammar teacher I said that.)
    Oh I see, and all I did was trap those DIV and SPAN things inside a TABLE to see if they would work.

Then in my next test I did away with them entirely and just used "class=" in the <td> tags. That works too, which is a whole bunch easier on my one neuron that's at home. I have three but one got lost and the other one's out looking for him.

I'm beginning to play with different colours now in my CSS file.

Chimo!
    Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce M.; February 15th, 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Beans

I'm beginning to play with different colours now in my CSS file.
    I am currently not on my Xubuntu box, but IIRC there were already different css files with different colors readily available in /usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/style. AFAIK the default version is used.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you misread my previous post

Meaning: Files as indicated are available

However, maybe it does have to do with the fact that I an running it on J.J.
    Maybe this can be confirmed?
    Oops! You're right I did misread that.

Are you using any "custom" calls in getting the app to run?

For example I'm now using two custom calls:

Code:
    gtk-desktop-info --allworkspaces --logfile=/tmp/gtk-desktop-info.log --interval=1800 --width=700 --height=240 --x=0 --y=755 --windowmanager=xfce4 --css=/home/bruloo/gtk-desk/my_forecast.css --template=/home/bruloo/gtk-desk/test.template --noheader --plugin=forecast &
    I think that last one is a MUST.

Other then that maybe it is a J.J. Gotcha! for the moment.

CHIMO!
    Bruce

Beans
    Hidden!

I am currently not on my Xubuntu box, but IIRC there were already different css files with different colors readily available in /usr/share/gtk-desktop-info/style. AFAIK the default version is used.
    Yea, but each has only two colours in them, I want 3 or 4, or mauby more, colours in my display, not just two.

CHIMO!
    Bruce

Beans

Hey guys,

This may not be the right thread to ask these questions, but you seem to know quite a bit about the data that comes from weather.com. I have been playing around with conky for the last few days (I'm still a linux newbie), and I see that the same applies here.

When looking at "conkyForecast -h", it says that for --datatype HT the value is (Forecast:High Temp,Current:Current Temp), and for datatype LT it says (Forecast:Low Temp,Current:Feels Like Temp). My question is, how would you get all 4 temps in one display?

For example:

High/Low:
    Current:
    Feels Like:

I think I can handle the coding in my .conkyrc, but I don't know how to differentiate between a request for a forecast and a request for current conditions.

Second question - The biggest problem I have right now is that I cannot find a location code that is close enough. When I go to weather.com and search for the location codes, If I search on my city (Oakley, CA) I get a code of USCA0792. When I use this code in conky the "station" is identified as Livermore which is about 30 miles away to the south(ish). If I use the adjoining city of Antioch, CA (USCA0034), the station is identified as Concord which is about 30 miles away to the West. And if I use the location code for Stockton, CA (USCA1100) that one does identify itself correctly as Stockton, but it is 35 miles East. The bottom line is that all of these other cities have their own micro climates and none of them match Oakley very well. I have been using the one that has the closest match to my weather but still . . .

Anyway, do any of you know of another weather service that has all of this information like maybe the National Weather Service, or even Yahoo weather (both of which have localized weather for Oakley), and how to use them??

TIA,

xeddog

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog View Post
    Hey guys,

This may not be the right thread to ask these questions, but you seem to know quite a bit about the data that comes from weather.com. I have been playing around with conky for the last few days (I'm still a linux newbie), and I see that the same applies here.
    Welcome xeddog,

Firstly, if you haven't already, take a look at the conkyForecast thread, you can find it through the "My Conky Scripts" link in my sig

When looking at "conkyForecast -h", it says that for --datatype HT the value is (Forecast:High Temp,Current:Current Temp), and for datatype LT it says (Forecast:Low Temp,Current:Feels Like Temp). My question is, how would you get all 4 temps in one display?

For example:

High/Low:
    Current:
    Feels Like:

I think I can handle the coding in my .conkyrc, but I don't know how to differentiate between a request for a forecast and a request for current conditions.
    As "current" and "feels like" temps are only available for the current day, if you require both high/low and these for the current day the following will do it:

Current: conkyForecast --datatype=HT --location=CODE
    Feels Like: conkyForecast --datatype=LT --location=CODE
    High: conkyForecast --startday=0 --datatype=HT --location=CODE
    Low: conkyForecast --startday=0 --datatype=LT --location=CODE

Anyway, do any of you know of another weather service that has all of this information like maybe the National Weather Service, or even Yahoo weather (both of which have localized weather for Oakley), and how to use them??
    I am afraid if you have an issue with location code there's nothing much I can do. Bruce has had similar issues...

The NOAA do US only weather data which may be more accurate for you. There is a python-pymetar library in the repos for accessing this data but it's a bit more raw to use than this script...and wont provide fonts etc for icon output.

Be sure to raise any more question in the conkyForecast thread, you will get better support there as their are more subscribers using the script there.

Hope that helps

Edit: corrected
    Last edited by kaivalagi; February 16th, 2009 at 02:24 AM.

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast