View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 16.35%
  • No

87 83.65%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should NoScript be in *buntu by default?

Beans

Re: Should NoScript be in *buntu by default?

I'd say no, partly because it updates so frequently that you'd likely have to download an update after a fresh install anyways. But also because extensions should just be extensions.

That being said, I do love No-Script. It's just not for everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

For anybodies general interest if you install toolbar buttons in the FF add ons 3 no script icons can be added to your tool-bar of choice. The first is the regular icon the other two are temporary allowance and removal of permission. Also as another poster mentioned you can set the pop up of options etc to not show and add to the white list as needed. I don't really care if it is in the repositories since like any program you can install or remove what you like although carefully.

Beans

The Tor people recommend not using NoScript, as due to its complexity most people who use it are unconsciously opening more holes than they are closing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    The Tor people recommend not using NoScript, as due to its complexity most people who use it are unconsciously opening more holes than they are closing.
    I looked at the tor website and couldn't find any info, might have not been the correct site. Would you post a link to the recommendations, I don't use tor but the subject seems worthy of understanding. I found this link although I don't know of the validity.
    http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Sep-2008/msg00125.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

NoScript really only works if you fully understand what it does.

Unless you do understand it then it's just an additional and unecessary annoyance.

I don't fully understand it therefore I don't use it.
    I've been using the internet for nearly ten years without NoScript and haven't had any problems thus far.

Beans

No, some people don't need things like that and giving something in a distro which is mostly personal preference would be sort of wrong.

Beans

there are two non nagging add ons that are better in my opinion

adblock plus and adblock G filter with anonproxy a perfectly good browsing experience

Beans

It's an excellent extension everybody should use.

The obvious problem is (also outlined by this thread), poor people don't understand what it's all about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    It's an excellent extension everybody should use.

The obvious problem is (also outlined by this thread), poor people don't understand what it's all about.

No some people just don't need it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frankleeee View Post
    I looked at the tor website and couldn't find any info, might have not been the correct site. Would you post a link to the recommendations, I don't use tor but the subject seems worthy of understanding. I found this link although I don't know of the validity.
    http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Sep-2008/msg00125.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php...eply&p=6365797

# NoScript

Torbutton currently mitigates all known anonymity issues with Javascript. While it may be tempting to get better security by disabling Javascript for certain sites, you are far better off with an all-or-nothing approach. NoScript is exceedingly complicated, and has many subtleties that can surprise even advanced users. For example, addons.mozilla.org verifies extension integrity via Javascript over https, but downloads them in the clear. Not adding it to your whitelist effectively means you are pulling down unverified extensions. Worse still, using NoScript can actually disable protections that Torbutton itself provides via Javascript, yet still allow malicious exit nodes to compromise your anonymity via the default whitelist (which they can spoof to inject any script they want).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast