Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVD Movie Plays fine But dd doesn't like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: DVD Movie Plays fine But dd doesn't like it.

I doubt you will be able to burn it back to a dvd with this procedure, but it's worth a try. Copy all the files to a folder on your computer (make sure to look for hidden ones as well). Then dd that folder
    Code:
    dd if=/COPIED/LOCATION of=/DESTINATION/bat.iso
    I have no idea whether this will play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I never had luck with dd and dvd's.

I've found dvdbackup and genisoimage to work well for me though, dvdbackup will copy the dvd structure to a folder, then genisoimage generates a dvd image from that.

k9copy is a gui app that can also generate iso images.

Code:
    dvdbackup -M
    genisoimage -dvd-video -o dvdtitle /path/to/dvd/folder
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    This isn't true. dd makes a bit for bit copy, and encryption doesn't matter. While you won't be able to play the dvd unless you have some libraries to decrypt it, there won't be any problems making a copy.

I don't really know what the problem is. What kind of filesystem are you using (if it's really strange, it might not support large files)? Could you try with another dvd? I'm sure you've tried this a few times; does it always fail at the same point?
    I did the research once and Rolcol is right, it is (unfortunately) true; that's why you can't simply use "dd" to copy any DVD movie you want to. If you want to copy an encrypted movie, you have to use something like K9Copy, which is available in the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

i take it you are try to copy with brasisro,have you tried k9 copy?

Beans

The only reason you can't copy it is because of the structure protection.

I just picked up the movie and am dumping it to an encrypted, structure protection .iso.

In this case the structure protection is mainly in the dvd structure itself, almost no unreadable sectors.

Actually it's almost done, taking about 10 min., will test the .iso and post back

Beans

Plays fine, if you want I'll post the method but note that this is only for playback from a hdd. You cannot process, shrink or burn to media as a dvd video. (due to leaving the css intact
    (took about 10 min. to dump to .iso

For any of that I advise to check here

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...86#post1222386

edit: you can also use vobcopy (modified for fast skipping of bad sectors, takes 30 sec. in this title.
    The resulting video_ts will need some fixing though.
    Last edited by mc4man; December 14th, 2008 at 04:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown96 View Post
    This isn't true. dd makes a bit for bit copy, and encryption doesn't matter. While you won't be able to play the dvd unless you have some libraries to decrypt it, there won't be any problems making a copy.
    Rolcol is correct, although it isn't really part of the encryption in the strictest sense. Some studios (for cds, too, actually) will deliberately put bad sectors on the disc specifically to defeat bit-for-bit copies. Others will intentionally use a broken filesystem structure.

It isn't new, and serves no purpose other than to annoy their customers.

The forum guidelines probably prevent me from specifically saying how I regard people that do this.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Plays fine, if you want I'll post the method but note that this is only for playback from a hdd. You cannot process, shrink or burn to media as a dvd video. (due to leaving the css intact
    (took about 10 min. to dump to .iso

edit: you can also use vobcopy (modified for fast skipping of bad sectors, takes 30 sec. in this title.
    The resulting video_ts will need some fixing though.
    Exactly what I need. Can you post the instructions?

Beans

To get .iso suitable for playback from your hdd then first install dvdisaster. (again note this is only for hdd playback, css and structure protections are untouched. (and irrelevant in this use.

After installing you'll find it in Applications -> system tools.
    (leave all settings at default, only change the destination if wanted.
    See screen, middle box in top panel

Insert your movie and open in a player, then pause playback.( this is needed for drive authenication

Open dvdisaster, make sure it's set to the correct drive (1st. box) and click on read.
    The first time you use it you'll get a pop up, choose "disable rs02 .... ." and then " Skip ....".

You can now close out the movie player and wait for 'rip' to complete.

Note that some drives are better at resuming full speed after read errors,
    if your drive stays low (1.4-2x then this may not be for you

If there are large numbers of unreadable sectors then this method is unsuitable due to time. (figure 16 unreadable sectors per 1.5 sec.

screen is from title in question, the 2nd read drop was caused by me, notice how my drive resumes good speed.

edit in the screen you'll see I forgot when renaming the destination a "." in front of iso.
    Not a big problem, only needed to add back to the ripped iso. Better to make sure it's name.iso
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; December 14th, 2008 at 06:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12