Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can i please have some help on how to set up a nome network?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can i please have some help on how to set up a nome network?

bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked411 View Post
    *MARTHA THE NINJAS ARE IN THE BACKYARD AGAIN!*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhopper View Post
    oh ive been reading, and a switch is like a splitter that is faster than a hub
    ?
    just get a switch. its not that big of an issue.

you see with hubs, all of the ports share the bandwidth. its old technology. everyone gets everyone else's traffic and if your MAC address is not deemed as the recipient then your computer would drop the packet. that's why its so easy to sniff traffic off of a hub cause hubs broadcast to everyone connected lol.
    good old broadcast traffic.

switches though, they build a table of MAC addresses and map them to ports they are connected to. This way only packets a computer would get is the ones whose MAC addresses match the destination.

its smarter than a hub, who just sends everyone packets, and crosses its fingers.

get a switch. I HIGHLY doubt you would notice any bottlenecking really. it's not like your running enterprise equipment here lol.

also with your ipconfig thing....

that will not do anything. and it is stupid if they are doing something like that. the only thing I have every heard of the ISP's doing is preferring to use the computer's mac address rather than the router. So in that case all you would have to do it bind the MAC address of one of your computers to the router.
    Last edited by druca; August 6th, 2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: felt like it. did not read entire conversation. now I have

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, if everything goes as planned, we are going to run a website to advertise some of the houses that my family has for rent, a total of 11 apartments, and pics of each room, dont know how much thats gonna take..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

We'll second the SWITCH over the hub!

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hyperhopper View Post
    well, if everything goes as planned, we are going to run a website to advertise some of the houses that my family has for rent, a total of 11 apartments, and pics of each room, dont know how much thats gonna take..
    keep the file size on those images as small as possible to reduce your total bandwidth consumption

you might want to check your contract and your ISP regarding exactly how much bandwidth you are alloted each billing period

you might be surprised...one way or another...

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

of course, Craigslist bandwidth doesn't cost you a thing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Don't know why people are making this as difficult as they are. Just because you don't have wireless doesn't mean you can't get it, I have 5 computers on the internet in my house and all of them are wireless, not a single one is plugged into the switch. Whenever I get a new desktop machine that I need to hook to the internet, I go pick up a used Wi-Fi PCI adapter for $10 and pop it in. Presto, internet. So that's your answer, just get a PCI Wi-Fi card and call it a day.

As for speed, you're limited to the bandwidth that your ISP provides you. I have 10 megs down and 1 up, thanks to the supernet here in Canada. So if I have 5 computers online, I can only balance out at 2 megs down per machine. But if one is sitting idle not really doing anything, I can use their allotment on another machine, just as long as the total between all of them is less than 10 down. There's no way to get speeds faster than what your plan allows unless you buy a faster plan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Can i please have some help on how to set up a home network?

referencing bandwidth regarding total usage as metered by ISP

it is your responsibility to know what your contract establishes

that includes BOTH download and upload speeds AND also total consumption

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(computing)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can i please have some help on how to set up a home network?

the router has wireless capability, but the signal doesnt reach where the other computers are.

The only thing We use it for is a Wii

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You're telling me they're close enough to run a cable to but not close enough to pick up wireless? Is it wireless A?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast