Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device

Beans

Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device

I upgraded to intrepid from Hardy.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS, which nvidia-glx-177 is supposed to support. I just installed the latest Intrepid updates which included some NVIDIA modelalias updates, but nothing has changed.

When i turn on the computer I get this error message:

-----------
    Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device
    Run Ubuntu in low graphics mode
    -------------------

Once I'm logged in the hardware drivers says that NVIDIA driver 177 is activated and currently in use.

When I try to start NVIDIA X server settings (sudo nvidia-settings) it says
    "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server. "

Sudo nvidia-xconfig gives me :
    Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
    Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
    New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

However, when i restart the x server, or when i restart the system, it still won't let me access the NVIDIA X-server settings, and I start the loop above again, starting with the unable to initialize Nvidia graphics device.

Beans

Re: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device

Is this not a pervasive problem and just me?

I still can't get Ubuntu to recognize that the NVIDIA driver is apparently installed correctly: system -administration-hardware drivers says that NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 177 recommended is installed, activated, and currently in use, however, I cannot access nvidia-settings, and now Google Earth won't work and says: "Unknown Graphics Card" Google Earth is unable to identify your graphics card. This is most likely because the driver for your graphics card has not been installed.

I really don't want to have to to do a clean install of Hardy and wipe out all my customizations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i have this same problem too so if anyone can help that would be cool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Been pulling my hair out and wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Let me get this straight...

You all have upgraded to Intrepid from Hardy, correct?

If this is the case, please note that the driver does not update by itself... at least, manually installed, it doesn't. If you're getting this message after automatically installing drivers, I'd suggest running "sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade".

If the problem persists, please try manually installing a driver for your card by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntu.kareeser.com/?p=44

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeser View Post
    Let me get this straight...

You all have upgraded to Intrepid from Hardy, correct?

If this is the case, please note that the driver does not update by itself... at least, manually installed, it doesn't. If you're getting this message after automatically installing drivers, I'd suggest running "sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade".

If the problem persists, please try manually installing a driver for your card by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntu.kareeser.com/?p=44

The link is invalid now. Do you have it somewhere else?
    BTW, I'm using Jaunty and was installed directly, not an upgrade.
    Graphic card: Geforce 7350 LE
    (EE)NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the nvidia graphic device PCI:1:0:0
    (EE)NVIDIA(0): Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello all, I'm also having this issue. I've always had it since NVIDIA drivers have been available. I have an 8600GT (PCI-E), and it's never worked correctly. I've at least been able to use two screens (which is the only thing I'm really trying to do) when NO drivers are installed, but that's just a work-around. Does anybody have any fixes for this?

I'm not a really good linux graphics guy, so I'll poke around some in the README like the error message says, etc...

Update: The error message references "Chapter 8: Common Problems" in the README. Does anybody know which REAME it's talking about? I ran this:
    find / -name README | grep nvidia
    and of the 5 READMEs that came up, none were longer than about 8 paragraphs.

Update2: I've tried using Envy: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html
    That tells me that the driver is installed and should be working, but after restart, it continues to post the error message and I have to run in low-graphics mode.
    Last edited by jumping_snake; December 10th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Had the same problem.
    The only way I was able to prove that my video card was not corrupted was to install nVidia Window drivers for 8400 GS under Windows XP 64 bit.
    Even after a clean instal of Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit and clean install of 9.10 32 bit, I still could not get the card recognised. I changed over to nVidia 7400 video card, did a clean install and the problem is resolved. But I had to do a clean install.
    I also tried with Ubuntu 7 and 8.10 to see what the difference would be and discovered something interesting.
    Originally had 4 drives, 2 Sata (320 G ) and 2 PATA ( 120 and 320 Gig). The 3rd HDD (120 Gigs ) was the boot disk. Due to video problems I installed U 9.10 with the 1st HDD as the boot disk. When re-installing 8.10 after 9.10 was wiped, 8.10 saw original HDD configuration, ie 3rd HDD as boot drive, not 1st HDD as in 9.10. So somewhere, this boot information is being stored on the HDD, maybe in the first boot sector, maybe not the MBR.
    Try another video card, it might help you situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As you mentioned, I'm able to run Windows XP 32-bit with the card just fine, so I don't believe it's the card.

Also, after reading into my error some more, it appears that the video drivers themselves are working correctly, but that my "screens" aren't. I'll continue to look into this and hopefully come out the other side

Update: I stopped playing with this earlier today. Booted the computer into Windows XP for a little bit, tried to restart into Ubuntu. However, right before the login screen, the system frooze. I had to hard-reboot it. This is when the unexpected happened: NVIDIA drivers worked FLAWLESSLY with my monitor. It was setup correctly, I could get into the NVIDIA display program, EVERYTHING. I tried to add my second monitor, but it wasn't detecting that it was turned on, so I restarted my system. Low and behold, the driver isn't working again.

I'll see if I can re-create the pattern/check out the logs to see what's happening that makes it work (if I can get it to do it again). Is there such a thing as a monitor that isn't supported by the NVIDIA drivers? I have a Dell 2007WFP and the Dell 2009* (whatever the new 20-inch version of the 2007 is).
    Last edited by jumping_snake; December 12th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

RIGHT! So after far too long, I've stumbled upon the answer to my errors: I forgot that I have a TV tuner card installed. At startup, the memory that's used to get all of the devices setup for use was too small and my TV tuner card was using too much of it...to the point that my nVidia card wasn't getting initialized.

So, after stumbling on this amazing find here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1002287
    and I've got it going.

These are the steps that I had to use in order to get the video card working for 9.10*:

*If you're reading this thread, I assume you've done the following and not installed any other drivers.
    1) System->Administration->Hardware Drivers
    2) Click on the 185 and then click activate
    3) Reboot

New Steps:
    Startup your system and either get to a console from the GRUB menu or boot to Ubuntu in low graphics mode and open a terminal once it's up. Once up, type the following command
    Code:
    sudo pico /etc/default/grub
    Once inside of the file, search for this line
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    right before the last ", put vmalloc=256M, so that the line looks like:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash vmalloc=256M"
    Then, hit CTRL+O and ENTER, and then CTRL+X. This will bring you back to the terminal. At this point, we need the startup system to reconfigure itself, so we type the following command
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Now, reboot the system

**NOTICE** If this doesn't work, try putting 192M instead of 256M. This has been reported to help as well.

What we've done is create an automatically booting proceedure that will allow us to use our video cards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast