Thread: Keeping my Internet Connection alive

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Keeping my Internet Connection alive

Hello

As you know, I wrote a scripts that dials to my ISP and opened a PPTP tunnel to my cables company.
    After running the script, i have 'ppp0' connection in my ifconfig, that contains my real ip address.

The problem is that sometimes this internet connection disappears only god knows why, and i need to run my script again to make it alive again.

How can i make this automatic ? I want that my linux will run the script for me every time my internet connection dies, without my interruption.
    Note: My script need to be runned with root privileges.

Thanks, Alexander

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Keeping my Internet Connection alive

You'd want it running as a daemon, sort of like an init script. Use an existing Init script as a reference: /etc/init.d/cupsys is a very clean one.

Let's call it

/usr/local/bin/internetd

You'd also want a /etc/init.d/internetd, which is modeled off cupsys to start/stop internetd.

Your internet keepalive script should be an infinite loop with the following logic:

1. Check for internet access. Do so by pinging a well-known site, or by using regular expressions to parse ifconfig output. (Doesn't the first option sound SO much easier?)
    A: YES: Do nothing
    B: NO: Initiate an internet connection.
    2. Sleep for x amount of time. Use the sleep or usleep command to do so. This is to prevent the script from going TOO quickly and slowing down the rest of your system! 1 second should be appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Keeping my Internet Connection alive

Thanks