Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amarok 2

Beans

Re: Amarok 2

For me Amarok is dead!Now I use Exaile and I am happy with it's simplicity and power!You can't beat that.
    Amarok 1.4 series was the most advanced music player in the world,and my favorite one,even if I was using Gnome,now it really sucks,it's bloated,resource hungry,plasmoited crap,that has no plans to change like the old one,it's the Vista of Amarok and by the way those big buttons are horrible!Long live Exaile!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Timi 9 View Post
    For me Amarok is dead!Now I use Exaile and I am happy with it's simplicity and power!You can't beat that.
    Amarok 1.4 series was the most advanced music player in the world,and my favorite one,even if I was using Gnome,now it really sucks,it's bloated,resource hungry,plasmoited crap,that has no plans to change like the old one,it's the Vista of Amarok and by the way those big buttons are horrible!Long live Exaile!!
    Could be, but I am looking for some specific features that don't all exist in 1 player yet (being able to DAAP share, get playlists AND ratings from the DAAP, and artwork).. I can get all but 1 or 2 of these in varying combinations from other players, but yet to score all at once (ie. Songbird won't fetch album art for DAAP share songs, only for local sings), so trying Amarok 2 was just a shot in the dark.

Still monumetally perplexed how I can't find a way to get it installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zim2dive View Post
    Still monumetally perplexed how I can't find a way to get it installed.
    I added http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main to my sources (Administration -> Software Sources -> Third Party Software.)

Next I had to sudo apt-get install amarok-kde4 which removed the old Amarok and installed the new one. It wasn't and still isn't visible to me in Synaptic.

I wonder why people can't just answer a straight question. And I have to say that I do understand the people who prefer 1.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by vonux View Post
    I added http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main to my sources (Administration -> Software Sources -> Third Party Software.)

Next I had to sudo apt-get install amarok-kde4 which removed the old Amarok and installed the new one. It wasn't and still isn't visible to me in Synaptic.

I wonder why people can't just answer a straight question. And I have to say that I do understand the people who prefer 1.4
    Dude.. where is the Thanks button for your post (tried, but not finding it right now...).. anyway THANKS! I had no idea packages would be available but NOT show up in Synaptic !!?!?!

So your steps worked perfectly.

Hmm, doesn't look like Amarok 2 handles DAAP any better than 1.4 did.. I don't see my Playlists, and like some other players, it doesn't grab the artwork via DAAP, nor will it fetch artwork via normal methods for music from DAAP sources.

I do admit I like the "look" of it better than 1.4. But so far Songbird contains the most of any player towards what I want out of DAAP and/or direct import of my iTunes library from my machine upstairs (I want to share that library with minimum effort and maximum fucntion.. ratings/playlists/artwork)

Again, many thanks for your info here.. I'm sure it will help other folks get Amarok 2 installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I agree with y'all, and I don't use even half of the features that you seem to be using. I just use my whole music folder as a playlist and in 2.0, you can't do that. It has like this weird list of 50 random songs from the collection and is supposed to update automatically, but doesn't. I played with it for a few days and then removed the program (and the repo) and rolled back to 1.4, which thankfully is the current one in the Ubuntu repos. Let's hope it stays that way, Amarok 2.0 is a broken toy.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    --Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Amarok 2, ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vonux View Post
    I added
    to my sources (Administration -> Software Sources -> Third Party Software.)

Well, very nice idea to grab newer versions from a Kubuntu repository... but I think right after adding that line to your repository sources, you should install a hex key to tell synaptec/apt-get that the source is legit.
    Something like this
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <put key # here>
    More info - http://www.kubuntu.org/amarok2-beta2

I found another option.... get the bleeding edge nightly builds of Amarok and libraries from launchpad's personal archives. Instructions are posted there for 4 versions of ubuntu distro.
    https://launchpad.net/~project-neon/+archive/ppa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123