Thread: Put an iso onto a thumbdrive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Put an iso onto a thumbdrive?

Most ubuntu versions offer .img files which is what the writeimage .deb uses to create a bootable usb stick, but the minimal ubuntu disc is only offered in iso, how can I get it onto a usb drive to install on my pc that doesn't have a cd drive?
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Put an iso onto a thumbdrive?

Beans

nothing special has told you the good path but for the sake of adventure try this, i would say that you download unet bootin

This is a sort of try and succeed solution(try at your risk)- first get hold of a computer that has a cd drive and some how maches your vedio and sound hardware ( these hardwares are one of the most problematic ones ). Now pop in your favourate ubuntu version into the cd drive, and plug in your usb. Boot from the cd and install the ubuntu linux into your usb drive. If the ubuntu version worked fine on that comp. then it should also boot up in your comp. just make sure that the sound and graphics hardware closely resembles yours.
    Last edited by vishal_mala; December 11th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    ubuntu disc is only offered in iso, how can I get it onto a usb drive to install
    You can also use the isotostick.sh script; see the InstallationFromUSBStick section on the Community Documentation for more details on this as well as Unetbootin.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."