Thread: fedora 10. would like to try but forums are not as cool as this one.

Beans

fedora 10. would like to try but forums are not as cool as this one.

So I installed fedora 10. I've seen some good things and wanted to try it out... so I installed it on my comp. And I can't connect to the internet. the network manager sees my essid but it won't accept my WEP.

So I browsed over to fedoraforums on a different computer and looked around and eventually posted a question about it. That was like two days ago. If I had posted the same question on this forum the responses would be on page 2 by now!

I'm thinking of coming back without exploring much of fedora. Just because the support on this forum is so much better than anywhere else.

the only reason I wanted to switch really was rpm. I got a copy of maya2009, LEGIT! and wanted to install it and thought this would be a good time to try fedora too.

I'm not trying to bash fedora in any way but after coming from this community I just come to expect people to reply within the first day... I guess we're all just spoiled over here...

Beans

Re: fedora 10. would like to try but forums are not as cool as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubs View Post
    So I installed fedora 10. I've seen some good things and wanted to try it out... so I installed it on my comp. And I can't connect to the internet. the network manager sees my essid but it won't accept my WEP.

So I browsed over to fedoraforums on a different computer and looked around and eventually posted a question about it. That was like two days ago. If I had posted the same question on this forum the responses would be on page 2 by now!

I'm thinking of coming back without exploring much of fedora. Just because the support on this forum is so much better than anywhere else.

the only reason I wanted to switch really was rpm. I got a copy of maya2009, LEGIT! and wanted to install it and thought this would be a good time to try fedora too.

I'm not trying to bash fedora in any way but after coming from this community I just come to expect people to reply within the first day... I guess we're all just spoiled over here...
    That is unusual. Bump your post if you must. I have found that while you don't normally get 20 responses on fedoraforums, you usually get the answer much quicker. Did you do a search to see if your question had already been answered?
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

I saw your post. Probably just a fluke - they're volunteers too.

Beans

You see. now THAT was a quick reply!

yea I bumped. I actually looked around and found some similar and tried some of the solutions but they didn't work. I saw a bunch of people were asking about the results of nm-tools so I ran it and posted.

and my bad on the post. it was 1 day ago. I guess I should just wait a little longer. It's not a huge deal that it doesn't work but I would like to get online so I can get the codecs to play my music again.

Beans

No, don't bump your thread. It is against Fedora forum rules to bump threads without adding more information to help folks diagnose the problem. Just writing "Bump" will just annoy folks. Did you try searching the forum before posting? Sometimes the answers have been given so many times already and a simple search (yeah, the search function is not that great) will usually turn up the answers.

Beans

You know how your bored at night waiting for you animation to render for a class you have the next day? And you try to find other things to do to occupy the time? I'm there. actually right there >

Beans

I didn't actually "bump" the thread. I tried to add info. from what I've read and was about to post again over there is that maybe its a new kernel and rt2500 problem. there seemd to be a few people with fedora10 and rt2500 problems. and they seem to blame it on the new kernel and to wait for updates.

Beans

Yes, I've seen them and also the DBUS debacle Unfortunately, I haven't been able to install F10 (or F9) because of an upstream bug in the xorg radeon driver that renders older radeon R100 7200 video cards unable to either see the DVI port, or when it does, to cause all the colours to be messed up! This also affects Ubuntu so I'm stuck in the dark side (OpenSUSE 11) until I can either afford new hardware, which may be in some years time or they fix it, which I doubt will happen any time soon Strange how OpenSUSE is immune...