Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slackware 12.2 Final is released

Beans

Re: Slackware 12.2 Final is released

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    I've never tried Slackware.

Downloading the DVD now; I might as well as my ISP has free downloads to its customers for anything on its mirror.

I tend to think I may find Slack a little more difficult than Arch.
    I think Slack is a bit 'harder' than Arch, but in a way that I like. It's very simple and transparent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I think Slack is a bit 'harder' than Arch, but in a way that I like. It's very simple and transparent.
    Well, really, Arch isn't hard, once you get a little familiar with it, it is probably the easiest distro/OS I've ever used.

From the little I have read on Slackware, it seems to be somewhat more complicated than Arch.

Anyway, I'll know soon enough the disk is being burned as I type this.

Beans

Well, really, Arch isn't hard, once you get a little familiar with it, it is probably the easiest distro/OS I've ever used.
    That was my point

Anyway, hard is a very subjective term. I just gave Pardus another shot and found it much harder than CRUX.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    It's very simple and transparent.
    Hmmm... yes, that's the phrase I was looking for...
    New sig line coming up.

Beans

Last night I loaded Slackware on my son's laptop (He was using Ubuntu 8.10).
    He requested World of Warcraft for the holiday, so I set it up on his T60 and hid the directory until xmas morning.
    I have my standard slack packages on an USB stick and just:
    Code:
    installpkg *tgz
    to install all of them on a new machine.

At any rate, all of my house PC's are now running Slackware with the exception of the iMac.

Beans

I installed to the point of boot-up & had to go out.

Recently arrived home & am in Xfce now which I've configured how I like though I will have to import my modified theme from Arch/Xfce on the iMac to finish it off.

I haven't setup xorg.conf & installed the nVidia closed drivers, my mouse wheel doesn't roll as yet, it looks like sound works, but I'll remain quiet at this time of night with my wife asleep in the next room.

I did a full install of near all of the choices. I sure have a lot more than on my main Arch box at this stage, though I expect it is quite easy to delete un-needed packages.

I won't be able to play around with Slack until tomorrow afternoon as I have a rather serious plumbing job to do that has quickly forced itself to the top of the priority list.

Beans

Hi handy,

Sounds like all is going well,

I haven't setup xorg.conf & installed the nVidia closed drivers, my mouse wheel doesn't roll as yet, it looks like sound works, but I'll remain quiet at this time of night with my wife asleep in the next room.
    In case you have not found it yet there is a nice script for the nVidia drivers on what will become your new best friend: http://www.slackbuilds.org.

You can set it all manually of course but if you run xorgsetup as root you will get a flying start and usually the mousewheel issue will be resolved.

I did a full install of near all of the choices. I sure have a lot more than on my main Arch box at this stage, though I expect it is quite easy to delete un-needed packages.
    I always do a full install as you never know what utility you will need. Removal of packages can be done with removepkg if you remember the name of the particular package or by using pkgtool if you want to browse the packages, both as root.

I won't be able to play around with Slack until tomorrow afternoon as I have a rather serious plumbing job to do that has quickly forced itself to the top of the priority list.
    All the best with the Slackware and the plumbing

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I always do a full install as you never know what utility you will need. Removal of packages can be done with removepkg if you remember the name of the particular package or by using pkgtool if you want to browse the packages, both as root.
    I always use the menu option, there's a lot of stuff I remove.

Beans

Thanks for the tips Andrew, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince4Amy View Post
    I always use the menu option, there's a lot of stuff I remove.
    I thought about it, but I knew it would take me a long time, & really, at that point, & at this, I haven't had enough experience with Slack to know if I like it or how much.

I'm not going to rush it, I'll just spend time with it when the mood takes me & gradually get to know it a bit.

Slack's install process is kind of the opposite to that of Arch with regard to the installation of packages. With Arch you start with nothing & simply add what you need/want, with Slack you kind of have everything with a collection of meta-packages (hopefully I'm not abusing the term?) you can choose or discard, then choose everything within those meta-packages, which is the quick way, or, spend a lot of time choosing what happens to each & every single package - stay, or go.

In that part of the installation I definitely prefer the Arch method, as I don't run many packages at all.
    Last edited by handy; December 20th, 2008 at 04:46 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123