Thread: Problems with Hardy: CD-rom not recognized, mouse/keyboard freezes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Problems with Hardy: CD-rom not recognized, mouse/keyboard freezes

Hello,

I upgraded to Xubuntu Hardy about a month ago (from Gutsy) and I (almost) wish I hadn't.

Since then I've had at least three occasions when my keyboard and mouse froze up. All ongoing processes (music playing, clock, creating an archive) just continued, but I couldn't do anything anymore except pressing the restart button on my computer. It usually happens when I did something, once while I started Skype, once when I had just inserted a memorystick. The last occasion was without any action on my part, but it's possible an email arrived at that moment.

Yesterday I had a total freeze when shutting down, the shutdown popup appeared and that was it. This time the computer itself appeared to be frozen as well.

Most problems seem to have started with the latest Kernel update (last week?), but I'm not sure about that.

Also sometimes my cd-rom/dvd drive seems to be not working. When I put something in it, it's not displayed on my screen or in Thunar.

Very annoying all this.

Also, the update manager doesn't indicate the distribution upgrade to 8.10, like it used to indicate 8.04 before. Is that normal?

If anyone has useful suggestions, they would be very welcome.

Regard,

Walrick

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Problems with Hardy: CD-rom not recognized, mouse/keyboard freezes

Quote Originally Posted by MartijnNL View Post
    Also, the update manager doesn't indicate the distribution upgrade to 8.10, like it used to indicate 8.04 before. Is that normal?
    OK, this I figured out, that's a setting in Software Sources.

But regarding the rest. I guess I'm going to try whether 8.10 works better.