Thread: XAMPP on Intrepid Ibex Failed to open string

Beans

Exclamation XAMPP on Intrepid Ibex Failed to open string

This is the message I received when opening localhost

Code:
    Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10, Xampp 1.6.8.a. Just installed then setup security by running.
    Code:
    sudo /opt/lampp security
    I then tested and was asked for the username and password which it accepted. I then copied my backup htdocs folder to the /opt/lampp folder. I could not access the files, received a 403. Thinking it might be the xampp security settings, I deleted the opt/lampp folder. I then ran the command:

Code:
    sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.6.8a.tar.gz -C /opt
    to reinstall xampp. The process ran without error. This time I did not change the security settings. I ran the command
    Code:
    sudo /opt/lampp start
    to start the server and received the all clear

Starting XAMPP 1.6.1...
    LAMPP: Starting Apache...
    LAMPP: Starting MySQL...
    LAMPP started.

I tested by typing in localhost in the browser (Firefox) got the xampp pages to show up. I then again copied my files from my mounted external hdd and now I get a:

Code:
    Warning: Unknown: failed to open stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Fatal error: Unknown: Failed opening required '/opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php' (include_path='.:/opt/lampp/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by firespydr; December 9th, 2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: addition

Beans

Re: XAMPP on Intrepid Ibex Failed to open string

I never used XAMPP before (what's wrong with ubuntu's LAMP configuration?), but that sounds like a permissions problem to me.

Code:
    ls -l /opt/lampp/htdocs/xampp/index.php

Beans

Same idea, I'm just kinda used to the Xampp flavor that's all. ANd anyway, i figured that out and now I'm getting a 403 forbidden on any page in the directory. Maybe I should leave the root of the installation folder alone and just use more folders to add more sites, I'll try this and post back.

Beans

I had the same problem and i solved it.
    Just change permissions on your folder in htdocs

chmod -R 777 name_of_directory

If you are concerned about security you should type in
    appropriate mode instead 777