Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CrunchBang Lite now testing

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: CrunchBang Lite now testing

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    you don't need an old machine to use it. it's ubuntu 8.10 and has all the latest apps.

it runs "things happen instantly" fast on an average computer. this aint your daddy's openbox, this is an incredibly fast efficient way to compute.

crunchbang is the thang.
    Touche!!! Touche!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm trying it because I want something to boot faster from my USB pen drive. There isn't that much dragging me away from Ubuntu at the moment to be honest, sure OpenBox is something cool and new to play with but I can stick that on top of a standard Ubuntu install...

Feel free to correct me guys but I'm really not noticing massive speed differences... What has everyone else found?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Openbox is better for older (and hence slower) systems. This is the case with me. Crunchbang is light years ahead, in terms of speed, of a typical Ubuntu(Gnome) install on my system.

If you've got top of the line/relatively new hardware, you likely won't notice a speed improvement when going from Ubuntu to Crunchbang.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post
    I'm trying it because I want something to boot faster from my USB pen drive. There isn't that much dragging me away from Ubuntu at the moment to be honest, sure OpenBox is something cool and new to play with but I can stick that on top of a standard Ubuntu install...

Feel free to correct me guys but I'm really not noticing massive speed differences... What has everyone else found?
    Crunchbang probably boots around the same speed as Ubuntu, since it uses Ubuntu as its base system. I do find that Crunchbang is faster than Ubuntu once it is up and running, as it is lighter on resources. I really notice the biggest difference with things like opening menus, switching back and forth between apps, resizing windows, etc. as opposed to boot time.

Almost all distros will run relatively slowly from a USB drive, by nature of the technology. If you want a fast OS on a pen drive, I recommend something like Puppy or Slitaz, both of which are loaded completely into ram at boot. There is a bigger speed difference between SliTaz and Crunchbang than between Crunchbang and Ubuntu, in my opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scottuss View Post

You may possible really like this site:

http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since Crunchbang 8.04 is based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, will sudo apt-get update keep Crunchbang 8.04 updated, in the same way that it would keep Ubuntu 8.04 updated, until 2011?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_1936 View Post
    Since Crunchbang 8.04 is based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, will sudo apt-get update keep Crunchbang 8.04 updated, in the same way that it would keep Ubuntu 8.04 updated, until 2011?
    Yes, absolutely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's great, because I've got a satisfactory Crunchbang (8.04) install. I'm sticking with it....it's got what I need.

Beans

I am curious does the lite version come with all the codecs installed like the standard version? I am getting a dell mini 9 and heard that the standard version runs really well on them, but I don't need all the programs that come installed. If the lite version is just missing some of the installed programs but is essentially the same otherwise I think I will throw that on there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yes, the lite version comes with codecs. but you will have to tweak some things to get it to work properly. see this page for more info.
    Last edited by wolfen69; February 9th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12