Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP tx2000 tablet won't function, 8.10 (Intrepid Bipex)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

HP tx2000 tablet won't function, 8.10 (Intrepid Bipex)

Okay, first of all, I'm an intermediate linux user, only ever used Ubuntu, and I've looked for two weeks at every thread I could find on the internet and in these forums.

The basic issue is that I can't get the digitizer built into my screen (my serial tablet) to react. At all. Never done ANYthing, never detected any third party drivers, anything.

Now, what I have tried is all the linuxwacom drivers, different versions with different configurations. The huge thread that was tailored to 8.10 users didn't do a thing after two days of frustration, which is pretty depressing. Again, this laptop is fairly new- got it this summer.

I've also configured the xorg.conf, although it may not be necessary in 8.10, after all I mentioned above, and still absolutely no change. So really, I'm getting to the end of my rope. Is my tablet pc even compatible with linux? Is there any way I can diagnose my issue beyond reading FAQs and tutorials so I can figure out just what's missing?

Sorry for the vagueness of my request, but it's been very hectic. I'll be glad to give you any information or logs you want to see- I've had to reset and reconfigure my setup with each new method. I just feel like there must be a simpler way to install and configure these drivers, like I'm missing something really obvious.

Beans

Re: HP tx2000 tablet won't function, 8.10 (Intrepid Bipex)

Same thing happened to me. Nothing happened when using the stylus. Two weeks ago I did get it to work though, with good help of the following thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

It didn't behave as the how-to said. After rebooting, it should be possible to move the pointer with the stylus, but nothing happened no matter how many times I rebooted. So I simply pasted in some code into my xorg.conf from the post - and voila! It worked!

But now, when I should reply on this post and tested the stylus again, it did not work... Any hints anyone? I have made the suggested updates (alot the last few days), so that might have broken something?

Beans
    Distro

Pasted the code, both from scratch and as a copy of the xorg.txt file in the post. I had to reset the drivers and update again and still no reaction. Anyone else have an idea as to what the issue may be? I still have a current version of the driver source to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi murderslastcrow and jkorp,

jkorp, everytime you update the linux kernel it breaks the linuxwacom driver and you have to run through the gali98 tutorial you reference again. My advice is don't allow automatic install, so you can choose if you want the new kernel, and have to go through the tutorial again.

To begin with let's make sure we are all starting at the same place. Intrepid 8.10? AMD 64-bit Intrepid? What are your TX2000's model numbers? You have to follow gali98's tutorial exactly, installing linuxwacom development driver 0.8.1-6. Also my advice is do not type in the tutorial's commands. Copy and paste them in your terminal. Please post your xorg.conf's.

I'm beginning to get an idea of what's been happening. I followed the turorial, installing linuxwacom development driver 0.8.1-5 in 8.04 Hardy Heron. This results in an xorg.conf filled with linux wacom project stuff. But in Intrepid Ubuntu switched to HAL (hardware abstraction layer). I'm beginning to think if you have an Intrepid install (and never installed on Hardy or earlier) none of the wacom stuff is added into xorg.conf. There is suppose to be a fdo file that lets you use your stylus, but it did not work for me. Additionally HAL can't support the eraser and touch. So us tablet users have to revert back to xorg.conf.

If so no big deal, you can use my xorg.conf, and I have some sample TX2500 xorg.conf's also. Or I suppose you could install Hardy, run through the tutorial and then update to Intrepid. HAL will comment out all your wacom xorg.conf stuff, but you can remove the comments.
    Last edited by Favux; December 12th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the information! That definitely helps clear up some of what I was a tad confused with. I'm going to research a little bit more of the linuxwacom site over the next few days (just for the heck of it), and probably redo the tutorial, disabling the 'HAL' update on the kernel while I tinker with it.

I'll try that before I ask for your xorg.conf files. Thanks again for clearing things up a bit. I'm seeing this as an ongoing issue mostly for 8.10 users everywhere I've looked.

*will return*

Beans

Favux,
    I believe you are correct regarding a new install of Intrepid. I had my TX2000 tablet working fine in 8.04 using gali98's tutorial but when I did a new install of Intrepid HAL did not include the xorg.conf information that is need to make the stylus and eraser work correctly. I commented out the HAL stuff and inserted the old xorg.conf information and everything is working fine. I just re-run the tutorial if I update the kernel. I'm using the 32 bit Intrepid

Beans
    Distro

Thanks M42,

I appreciate the confirmation. This explains the rash of TX2500 posters with "naked" xorg.conf's. At first I had wondered if if had something to do with the ATI video. Instead it is the newer machine and so more likely to only have an Intrepid install. And HAL is blocking any new xorg.conf configurations.

But this is the worst Ubuntu can do to us tablet users isn't it? I mean xorg.conf says it in its name, it's the X org.'s configuration file. In other words, since Ubuntu uses Xserver then we'll always be able to configure our tablet through xorg.conf, won't we? Or maybe they'll have found a way around HAL's limitation of one input per usb and magically our tablets will be supported "out of the box". You can tell I'm a dreamer.

It will be interesting to see if murderslastcrow can get a populated xorg.conf by disabling HAL in the kernel. If so maybe gali98 will have to add it to the tutorial.

I hope he reports back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

subscribing to post...
    Is there a wiki area where all the how to's to optimize this device are kept?
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi yurtboy,

Sorry, as far a I know there is no consolidated area. The wiki has wacom tablet stuff, a little outdated last time I checked. A couple folk have wished gali98 would turn his tutorial into a wiki. I think we are lucky he did the tutorial at all. What I'll do for you is supply some links. Hope these help.

gali 98's wacom tutorial:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

mirosol's original TX2000 install tutorial:
    http://mirosol.kapsi.fi/tx2020/tx2000howto.htm

siennalizard's HOW TO for TX2000:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=tx2000

G_man's TX2000 HOW TO:
    http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792669

I don't remember a consolidated HOW TO for the TX2500, but there are a couple big threads that have most of the info. if you're willing to go through them like:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...000%2Bintrepid

and my Rotation HOW TO:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830

Beans
    Distro

K,uninstalled all of the wacom stuff and made sure there was no xsetwacom or any wacom references in the xorg.conf file.

I then disabled HAL, but still not sure if I needed to do anything extra for fdi files.

So here's how it went:

After copying the src/2.26.7 version of wacom.ko to the input/tablet directory and restarting several times, got no response from the stylus/digitizer.

Upon following the tutorial thenafter,

"./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr

make

sudo make install

sudo rmmod wacom

sudo modprobe wacom"

I received the following errors.

"checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first"

Of course, at this point, xorg.conf still had no modifications from the default.

So I uninstalled, reinstalled again, and used the latest (linuxwacom-0.8.2), with the exact same results. No reactivity.

So I continued to edit the xorg.conf.
    I didn't have anything that identified the "ServerLayout," so I pasted it in at the end like the example on the tutorial post. A lot of the options seemed to refer to a lot of synaptics in the xorg.txt from the post, but I didn't have anything but a monitor and graphics card in my xorg.conf. I pasted the pieces, anyway. Could this be related to HAL and Intrepid's new way of managing these drivers, or is there just nothing being detected at all?

The next code I put in got resulsts nothing like the tutorial.
    "jack@jack-lappeh:~$ dmesg | grep Wacom
    [ 244.561430] wacom: v1.49:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver"
    Then the event results gave me the same as the tutorial, being on a 2000
    (pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.1-eventmouse/event-).
    So, I restarted the Xserver which caused me to go into low graphics mode. I didn't reconfigure the graphics so xorg.conf wouldn't revert to a previous state or be modified. There were no visible changes to the file.

I opened the wacom control panel, anyway, where I found nothing to choose from, so I exited.

So, I decided to replace my xorg.conf entirely with the one provided in the post, restarted the xserver again. Still nothing, with a low graphics mode again.

Thanks for getting this far and reading all the details. Looks like this is still a dead end for me.
    Last edited by murderslastcrow; December 13th, 2008 at 08:16 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast