Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HP tx2000 tablet won't function, 8.10 (Intrepid Bipex)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HP tx2000 tablet won't function, 8.10 (Intrepid Bipex)

Hi murderslastcrow,

Wow! I can feel your frustration through the screen.

Too many variables. Let's trim some.

First do you have a functioning tablet when you boot in Vista? Everything works fine?

I have seen plenty of posts from folks with TX2500s saying they have full tablet functionality. They followed gali98's tutorial and installed linuxwacom development driver 0.8.1-6 on kernel 2.6.27-7 or 2.6.27-9 or 2.6.27-10. I have yet to see a post saying they have the tablet working on linuxwacom driver 0.8.2. So let's forget it for now, better yet purge it off the system. You still haven't posted your kernel:
    Code:
    uname -r
    You're right, the empty xorg.conf may be, probably is, due to HAL. This despite your disabling it. I suppose it's even possible you have successfully installed the wacom kernel module and not even recognized it because your xorg.conf was not configured. I am attaching the xorg.conf of a TX2500 that has functioning Wacom. Back up your xorg.conf, keep a copy of the downloaded xorg.conf and replace your xorg.conf with it. Let's get this working first.

This forces us to take a detour re video. I don't know which video driver you are using. ATI's "flgrx" does not support rotation. I worked with a couple TX2500 users to confirm this. You have to use Xorg's "radeon" driver which does support rotation. This xorg.conf is configured for "radeon" (you can see flgrx commented out). Some of the ATI guys say that when they go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers to deactivate "flgrx" their system (X) crashes. This shouldn't happen, but it does. Be prepared. When you restart hopefully "radeon" will be running.

In summary let's get you set up with a properly configured xorg.conf and video driver before running through the tutorial again.

I know you were desperate to try something new but let's forget linuxwacom 0.8.2 for now. I know gali98 hasn't updated the tutorial since 11-3-08. He's not posted for two or three weeks.

Beans
    Distro

Oops! Attachment didn't attach. Try again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh, forgot to mention, my kernel is 2.6.27-9-generic.

I replaced my xorg.conf with the tx2500 one provided, restarted, and I was in a high-graphic driver mode. I'd been using third-party nVidia 177 drivers, but they appear to be disabled now inside Administration\Hardware Drivers.

So, removing the linuxwacom stuff altogether- completed. Also, everything worked out of the box with my Vista installation. Calibration, flicks, screen rotation. My tablet doesn't make use of an eraser or extra buttons- just a stylus on the digitized screen.

I'm guessing this still qualifies it as a USB rather than serial since I've seen a lot of posts referring to this series of tablet PCs being that way. Also, within hardware drivers I didn't see anything like radeon, but I'm not sure if I should.

So here's where I am, still no reactivity from the stylus (seeing as how nothing's installed).

Beans
    Distro

Hi murderslastcrow,

Good, now you have a configured xorg.conf. The Xorg "radeon" driver is OSS and apparently default for Ubuntu. Not being proprietary it would not be in Hardware Drivers. Check there and make sure the ATI proprietary driver "flgrx" is deactivated.

Either the TX2000 or the TX2500 supports stylus, eraser, stylus side button, and touch in Vista or Ubuntu. The wacom tablet built into the laptop is a Wacom Graphire USB (not serial) with active digitizer.

Now you say you have an nVidia 177 video driver? But you have a TX2500? TX2500's have the ATI 3200 HD video chip, not nVidia. I'm assuming this is some sort of typo on your part. Look at the little plate on the bottom of your laptop. What exact model does it say you have? If you are a TX2000 you have the wrong xorg.conf and we need to change it.

Assuming you have a TX2500 let's proceed. You now have a properly configured xorg.conf on a "clean" machine. This time do not remove the wacom stuff from the xorg.conf.

Go through the gali 98 (11-3-08) tutorial doing all the stuff for Intrepid (8.10) using the linuxwacom development driver 0.8.1-6 (we use the development branch because linuxwacom just introduced usb functionality into the driver). Follow it exactly! I mean exactly! Read carefully, make sure you understand, go slowly (I'm afraid you're frustrated enough to be impatient and rush through). Do not type in the commands. Copy them from the tutorial and paste them in the terminal.

Check the xorg.conf and make sure the wacom configuration stuff is still in there. Check xorg.conf again after reboot.

Let's see what happens when you go through the final reboot.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, did I type tx2500? XD Oh bullocks. It's most certainly a tx2000. And despite my current predicament, my overjoyed satisfaction with the operating system itself far outgrows the small frustration of the tablet not working.

So yes, I'll be patient, but I think that means I'll need a slightly different xorg.conf? Good to have some well-versed guys out here. Thank you for your patience.
    Last edited by murderslastcrow; December 14th, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi murderslastcrow,

Well that's good to straighten out. Attached find my TX2110us xorg.conf. You want the nVidia driver activated. After you get my xorg.conf in place go to System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and activate the nVidia 177 video driver. Reboot and make sure everything is good to go. Then follow the tutorial as above.

Edit: I reread the thread and TX2500 thing was my mistake. Like I mentioned I was helping some TX2500's I got myself confused. I should have been reading the title of the thread, right? Oh well, not much harm, minimal foul. Sorry.
    Last edited by Favux; December 14th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Alright. Followed the tutorial and got to the part where you restart (just before checking xinitrc and taking the wacom references out of xorg.conf, which I didn't do since I'm keeping the file as-is, and it hasn't been formatted by HAL or anything else). So I restarted four times, still no response from the digitizer on any place from the screen. So I ran the 'enable wacom' test suggested in the tutorial and to leave the results. I used the code on the linuxwacom directory unzipped to my desktop earlier.

My results are attached. I'm going to be patient like the tutorial said. I hope it's appropriate to stay in this thread with the results. ^^; Thanks again for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Hi murderslastcrow,

No stylus, no eraser, no touch? After restart if no stylus, try restarting X and see what happens. To restart X <ctrl><alt><backspace>. When you type "wacomcpl" in a terminal and the gui pops up do you see stylus, eraser, touch? When you click on one of them do options appear like calibrate?

Post the output of:
    Code:
    reset

dmesg | grep Wacom
    Post the output of:
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/input/by-path
    Post your .xinitrc from /home/user name/ (be sure to check show hidden files in View so you can see it).

Post your xinitrc from /etc/X11/xinit/ (be sure to distinguish them so I can tell which is which).

You are now using the TX2000 xorg.conf right?
    Last edited by Favux; December 15th, 2008 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I've been using the tx2000 xorg.conf from the get-go, yes. Resetting the X Server gives no response, either (no touch, no stylus, no eraser, on any segment of the screen). The wacom control panel only brings up "Select Device" with a greyed out drop-box, so I'm unable to make any selection since there are none. So the only option I have is to click the exit button.

For the 'reset dmesg' code I got the following, "[ 38.344594] wacom: v1.49:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver". For the 'ls -l' I got this.

"total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-14 12:02 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.1:1.0-event- -> ../event10
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-12-14 12:02 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse -> ../event2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-12-14 12:02 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-mouse -> ../mouse1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-12-14 12:02 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-12-14 12:02 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event11
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-12-14 12:02 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-12-14 12:02 platform-pcspkr-event-spkr -> ../event3"

When I unhid files in my home/jack (username) folder, I couldn't find any files or folders referring to xinitrc, only Xauthority and xsessionerrors. I am attaching the xinitrc file from the X11/xinit folder, however.
    Last edited by murderslastcrow; December 14th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi murderslastcrow,

I think I see a problem. Change your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc from:
    Code:
    !/bin/bash
    # $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    #
    # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
    . /etc/X11/Xsession
    to:
    Code:
    !/bin/bash
    # $Xorg: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:30 cpqbld Exp $

# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
    #
    # global xinitrc file, used by all X sessions started by xinit (startx)

# invoke global X session script
    #. /etc/X11/Xsession
    In other words comment out the last line like I just did. You probably have to go into terminal and sudo gedit etc. to change it. Do that and reboot and see if anything happens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast