Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried KDEMod 4.2?

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone tried KDEMod 4.2?

Still mega curious about this. Supposedly 4.2 is this giant improvement. Might be enough to make me do the ol' switcharoony, but I'm not sure.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Re: Anyone tried KDEMod 4.2?

I have kdemod 4.2. It's way better than 4.1. Less bugs, faster etc

Beans

I'm on KDE 4.2 RC1, and it is faster, especially konqueror. Dragonplayer seems smoother. Some things still crash for me as they have always done (on any kde4 installation), notably plasma, konqueror, juk, shaman (arch only), and rarely, dolphin. Not any real changes to the design/interface. For me, there were no problems or drawbacks in upgrading from 4.1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Those crash are packaging related.
    Introducing KDE 4, mini articles full of screenshots

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LuisAugusto View Post
    Those crash are packaging related.
    What do you mean by 'packaging related'?

Beans
    Distro

That KDEMod repositories suck. And most problems are caused by their mistakes. If you truly want to test KDE 4.2 as it is, use OpenSUSE 11.1 Build Service (Fedora packages are better too).

I'm Mexican. If you find any mistakes please let me know, you'll help me improve my English. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well I ain't getting rid of Arch no way no how, so OpenSUSE 11.1 is out, so's Fedora. Heavily tempted to give 'er a go. If things go **** up I'll just reformat, since I've been wanting to switch filesystems for a while now.

Beans
    Distro

There's an Arch KDE 4 live CD, if you want to give it a shot before installing it:

http://chakra-project.org/download.html

Tough, if you truly think about using KDE 4 as your main desktop, OpenSUSE is still the best option.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, thing is, I've used OpenSUSE before. I don't like YAST, I don't like RPM-based distros, and I'm not going to install something that comes on a 4 gig DVD. SUSE's another distro with the theory of "throw everything in there to make sure the user has what they need". I just want the DE, not the OS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Yeah, thing is, I've used OpenSUSE before. I don't like YAST, I don't like RPM-based distros, and I'm not going to install something that comes on a 4 gig DVD. SUSE's another distro with the theory of "throw everything in there to make sure the user has what they need". I just want the DE, not the OS.
    Then, your best shot (even tough I don't agree with anything you said) is to compile KDE 4 from sources (or wait for 4.2 final).
    Last edited by LuisAugusto; January 16th, 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast