Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Archlinux desktop screenshot thread.....

Beans

Re: The Archlinux desktop screenshot thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by crimesaucer View Post
    Still looks good. That panel looks like the best Linux panel out.... I've never used KDE and am pretty comfortable with xfce4..... so I plan on staying with it (xfce4.4.6 will be out soon)..... but every time I see that panel app and plasma, I start to wish that xfce4 would add some new style to their Desktop Environment.
    Well, I guess it will be hard for them to do any major revamp, after seeing all the bad mouthing the KDE team suffered.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    Well, I guess it will be hard for them to do any major revamp, after seeing all the bad mouthing the KDE team suffered.
    I'm pretty happy with how it turned out though.
    It looks good. I wouldn't mind some of the features of plasma, dolphin, and the panel making it into gnome or xfce4.

Beans

I do think that plasma can be used in other DE's. And since everything is a plasmoid, I'd guess you can use the panel. I could be wrong though.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    I do think that plasma can be used in other DE's. And since everything is a plasmoid, I'd guess you can use the panel. I could be wrong though.
    I am actually happier with my desktop then I've ever been. I'm just waiting for the murrine-svn RGBA true transparency project to be perfected so that the entire desktop theme can be clear with beautiful text and widgets.

I messed around with the RGBA = TRUE with some of my murrine-svn themes, and I added the patches and plugins for certain apps..... but if felt slow and reminded me of Vista when moving windows around..... plus most of the patches/plugins were for gnome.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by crimesaucer View Post
    As for the gtk theme it is the murrine-svn gtk engine which is very easy to write a gtkrc for. This is one my themes that I made that was influenced from the MurrineGlow and Shiki-Colors themes available on gnome-looks.org.... just download one of those and modify it with your own colors and customizations using these settings (even newer settings for svn version): http://www.cimitan.com/murrine/options
    I think the reason people asked was because YOUR customizations look so good. Saying "here, you can build your own" is like if I'm at someone's house and ask for the recipe after a good meal and they just hand me a bag of ingredients, saying "you can make it to your own tastes!"
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    I think the reason people asked was because YOUR customizations look so good. Saying "here, you can build your own" is like if I'm at someone's house and ask for the recipe after a good meal and they just hand me a bag of ingredients, saying "you can make it to your own tastes!"
    Well, I know I was sort of giving the lazy answer..... but being a chef for the last 15 years I would probably point out that as long as you have the same ingredients as me, and sort of know your way around your kitchen.... that even if you do not make the exact same dish, your dish will probably still taste good and look close to the same.... and the more times that you make the dish the better it will get and your own individual style will emerge.

So I wouldn't explain to you about caramelizing, deglazing a pan, reducing, or how to saute propely.....

Now if someone said that they had absolutely no idea on how to cook and they wanted to learn, then I would suggest getting a nice cookbook and getting their hands dirty with some trial and error.... I might even walk them through the process.

..... which is sort of what I did.

See, the murrine theme engine is one of the easier ones to customize yourself. Just download a murrine theme that you like.

Copy that original theme, and give it a new name. Now edit your new theme's gtkrc.

Change all of the colors ("#CCCCCC") to the colors that you want to use. Most new themes have a simple line at the top of the gtkrc called:

Code:
    gtk_color_scheme =
    If it doesn't use that then edit the hex colors in the:

Code:
    style "theme-default"
    They will be the parts that say:

Code:
    bg[NORMAL] = "#CCCCCC"

Now you can also edit the settings in the:

Code:
    engine "murrine"
    That is the link that i gave: http://www.cimitan.com/murrine/options

And you can even edit the settings in:

Code:
    style "theme-default"
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes
    http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkEngines

I've even written a guide for the xfce4-engine themes (way back in 2007)..... it's old, not complete, and not very accurate.... but it still worked for the xfce4 themes: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=377397

Beans

Last edited by crimesaucer; January 12th, 2009 at 07:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Might as well chime in again.

GTK/Openbox: Azel
    Icons: ALLGREY
    Desktop font: Artwiz's Snap
    Conky font: Artwiz's Nu
    Tint
    Trayer
    Wallpaper: something off GNOME-Look
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm a new Arch user - I switched from Ubuntu just a few days ago. I'm trying to wean myself onto an alternative WM/DE bit by bit, so right now I'm using GNOME/Openbox. I'm gonna try just straight Openbox in a few days, but I've grown so accustomed to GNOME it'll be tough

Theme details are in the screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

Basic arch with awesome setup.
    [Configuration files]
    Linux IS user-friendly, it's just picky about its friends.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast