Thread: [SOLVED] Linux equivalent to NetNewsWire?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

[SOLVED] Linux equivalent to NetNewsWire?

I'm still on my migratory journey from being a 100% mac household to more and more Ubuntu.

One thing about the Mac is that there is some EXCELLENT software available on the platform. I've found replacements for some (Smultron ~> Geany). Now for my next biggie, I need something for linux to replace the functionality of NetNewsWire.

NNW is the premier newsreader on Mac OS X. I can't really find anything at all on linux. Perhaps it's not called a "newsreader"?

NetNewsWire

I would really like to find something that can sycn with newsgator (NNW was taken over by newsgator), so that articles read/unread status, adding new feeds, etc are synced to all platforms (NNW on Mac, NNW on iPhone, whatever on linux), similar to IMAP email.

Thanks for any tips for what app I can use.
    --Nathan
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't"
    Registered Linux User #357088

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Linux equivalent to NetNewsWire?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Sweeney View Post
    NNW is the premier newsreader on Mac OS X. I can't really find anything at all on linux. Perhaps it's not called a "newsreader"?
    I don't have any recommendations since I'm not using usenet any more, but a quick search with the Synapics package manager gave me "pan", which is marked for Ubuntu use, "tin", which is more general, and several others, some of them text based.

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to install "pan" quickly by typing:

sudo apt-get -y install pan

in the terminal window -- or, of course, use the Package Manager.
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by ingeva View Post
    I don't have any recommendations since I'm not using usenet any more, but a quick search with the Synapics package manager gave me "pan", which is marked for Ubuntu use, "tin", which is more general, and several others, some of them text based.

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to install "pan" quickly by typing:

sudo apt-get -y install pan

in the terminal window -- or, of course, use the Package Manager.
    I am starting to think that what I want is not really called a "news reader" in Linux. Pan seems to be for use with news groups or usenet. This is not what I am after. I am looking for something that subscribes to RSS feeds, such as Autoblog and Engadget.

I'm not sure what that would be called, I just figured it was called a newsreader, but apparently that refers to usenet.
    --Nathan
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't"
    Registered Linux User #357088

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Sweeney View Post
    Pan seems to be for use with news groups or usenet. This is not what I am after. I am looking for something that subscribes to RSS feeds, such as Autoblog and Engadget.
    Yes I though you were talking about usenet news.
    I haven't checked this time, but have you searchedd in the Package Manager?

You should be able to find something about rss feeds etc. there.

I don't have the time now!

Good luck!
    If it works, FIX IT! (Bill Gates)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There are several RSS readers available for Linux. Akregator, Liferea, Google Reader, and more.