Thread: WICD stopped working after update

Beans

Question WICD stopped working after update

Ok, I'm running 8.04 x86 on a presario f750. It has an Atheros AR5007 internal wireless card. The ONLY way I had found to get this wireless card to work is using:

x86(no solutions for 64bit),
    ndiswrapper(couldn't get madwifi to work)
    wicd (if i remember correctly network manager could see but not connect)

A couple months ago update manager wanted to update WICD, and when it did (pay attention, this is where i made a huge mistake) it asked me about replacing a certain file that either I or another app had made a change to. I was reading this at the same time I was blindly clicking OK. Yeah, real smart. So ever since then, I just can get it to connect without security, but not with security. I have tried checking various settings, playing with I don't know how many different security setting combinations between my D-Link router and wicd.

When I first boot the computer, WICD can see all the wireless networks, but not connect to mine. after several minutes though, it suddenly goes blind and doesn't see them anymore. If I log out and back in, it still does not see them, I have to reboot the computer. If I set the router to "open system" I can use it just fine, but I cannot find a security setting that works. If there is any information that would help someone help me, please let me know. anything I can do to get this computer working wirelessly without my neighbors (apartments) logging on too would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Beans

Bump - could really use some help

Posting at night didn't get me a lot of people reading the thread, maybe a bump in the middle of the day? Could really use some help. My only other option is (GASP) vista. (dual booting)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: WICD stopped working after update

First of all are you sure your driver is working with encryption.

I would just verify this first before assuming the problem is wicd. I have a link how to connect via the command line in my signature. Take a look at it, and just make sure you can establish a manual connection at the command line -- not using wicd or network manager. (This is really what they do in the background, so the process is the same -- really it is!). That will help me know where you problem lies.