Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox won't open files from the download manager

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Firefox won't open files from the download manager

When I download things, and then go to the firefox download manager and right click the file and click open, or open folder, nothing happens. How do I fix this? I'm using kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3, and firefox 3.0.4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox won't open files from the download manager

You need to go to where you downloaded it to and open it from there.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gettinoriginal View Post
    You need to go to where you downloaded it to and open it from there.
    I know how to do that, thanks. What I need to know is how to make the open and open folder commands in the download manager work, to remove the need to manually navigate to the appropriate directory or directories. The commands are there, surely there is some way to make the commands work the way they're supposed to! Some time back, there was a thread on this, but I can't find it anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I would go further and say that the "open file" option needs to work, or not exist at all. I'm really fine with either, but prefer the former.

Frank

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by russofris View Post
    I would go further and say that the "open file" option needs to work, or not exist at all. I'm really fine with either, but prefer the former.
    Yeah, it being there and not working is kind of a cruel taunt. 'You wanna open your file, do you? Well you CAN'T! hahahaha.' it seems to say. Or maybe I'm anthromoporphizing a bit much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by helwitch View Post
    Yeah, it being there and not working is kind of a cruel taunt. 'You wanna open your file, do you? Well you CAN'T! hahahaha.' it seems to say. Or maybe I'm anthromoporphizing a bit much
    I liken it to my 1995 Jetta GL. It has about six imitation switches on the dash that did nothing. Nice car, handled well, lasted 262,000 miles. Funny thing was that the imitation switches actually "switched" with an audible click.

Frank

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by helwitch View Post
    When I download things, and then go to the firefox download manager and right click the file and click open, or open folder, nothing happens. How do I fix this? I'm using kubuntu 8.04 with KDE 3, and firefox 3.0.4.
    As bad as it sounds, this is STILL happening on Firefox 4 and 5, Kubuntu 11.04.
    Help?

Beans

I've always had the same problem, and it's still there, firefox 7 and kubuntu 11.10. Any hint?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoPau View Post
    I've always had the same problem, and it's still there, firefox 7 and kubuntu 11.10. Any hint?
    Yes. Install package firefox-kde-support and it's done! Now you can open files and the containing folder. For more details, have a look at http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=17786
    Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geoaraujo View Post
    Yes. Install package firefox-kde-support and it's done! Now you can open files and the containing folder. For more details, have a look at http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=17786
    Cheers.
    You made my day! Thanks a lot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast