Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: [SOLVED] Unable to mount DIgital Camera

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    54

    [SOLVED] Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Hello,

    When I try to mount my digital camera, this comes up:

    Unable to mount Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4600 (ptp)
    Error initializing camera: -1: Unspecified error

    Anything you guys can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Beans
    266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mccarthy View Post
    Hello,

    When I try to mount my digital camera, this comes up:

    Unable to mount Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4600 (ptp)
    Error initializing camera: -1: Unspecified error

    Anything you guys can do to help would be greatly appreciated.
    Nicholas, give us a run down on what distribution your using, and on your system. so everyone can try to help you out.

    and give a description on how you attached the camera.

    my Nikon is found just like a removable disk.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Please post the output of this command:

    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    /$home
    Beans
    1,074
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    First see if the computer at least recognizes that the camera is plugged into the usb port:

    Code:
     lsusb
    I'm not afraid of storms, for I sail my own ship

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    54

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by malathion View Post
    Please post the output of this command:

    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0005e987

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 9541 76638051 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 9542 9729 1510110 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 9542 9729 1510078+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

    Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0 GB, 60060155904 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7301 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x1cb31993

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 1 7301 58645251 7 HPFS/NTFS


    Quote Originally Posted by linux_tech View Post
    First see if the computer at least recognizes that the camera is plugged into the usb port:

    Code:
     lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 4971:cb01
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b0:0130 Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4600 (ptp)
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub


    Quote Originally Posted by newbee70 View Post
    Nicholas, give us a run down on what distribution your using, and on your system. so everyone can try to help you out.

    and give a description on how you attached the camera.

    my Nikon is found just like a removable disk.
    I'm using 8.10. I plugged in the cord to the USB port and plugged in the camera. On my computer I had a while ago, still with Ubuntu on it, that's all I had to do to mount it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Switzerland
    Beans
    2,612
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mccarthy View Post
    Anything you guys can do to help would be greatly appreciated.
    Do you have a card reader? If yes: you could remove the card from the camera and insert it into your Ubuntu system as if it were a floppy disk. That should work.

    Also: I am not familiar with your type and brand of camera ... but with the HP cameras that I have it is possible to go into their "Settings" menus and there one can then define how they should be seen by PC's ... either as "Camera" or as "USB Mass Storage". At least on one of my cameras the "Camera" mode doesn't work, so I set it to "USB Mass Storage". Now when I connect it to my Ubuntu system my camera is seen as "Disk Drive" ... the end result is the same: I get to copy my pictures off the camera.

    Maybe you could check if your camera has a similar feature?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    54

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    Do you have a card reader? If yes: you could remove the card from the camera and insert it into your Ubuntu system as if it were a floppy disk. That should work.

    Also: I am not familiar with your type and brand of camera ... but with the HP cameras that I have it is possible to go into their "Settings" menus and there one can then define how they should be seen by PC's ... either as "Camera" or as "USB Mass Storage". At least on one of my cameras the "Camera" mode doesn't work, so I set it to "USB Mass Storage". Now when I connect it to my Ubuntu system my camera is seen as "Disk Drive" ... the end result is the same: I get to copy my pictures off the camera.

    Maybe you could check if your camera has a similar feature?
    No, I don't have a card reader.

    And no, there's no setting on my camera like that, it's a few years old though, so I don't know. It's a Nikon Coolpix 4600 if that helps.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Beans
    266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 4971:cb01
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04b0:0130 Nikon Corp. Coolpix 4600 (ptp)
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub




    I'm using 8.10. I plugged in the cord to the USB port and plugged in the camera. On my computer I had a while ago, still with Ubuntu on it, that's all I had to do to mount it.

    on your setup menu how do you have this set?

    # Interface

    * USB (PTP, Mass Storage)
    * Video mode (NTSC, PAL)

    Hopefully USB mass storage.

    # Auto transfer (on/off) - whether photos are automatically transferred to your PC by default .
    Last edited by newbee70; December 7th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    54

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    yeah, I have it as Mass Storage, I don't get why it is saying PTP then when I plug it in?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Beans
    266
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Unable to mount DIgital Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholas mccarthy View Post
    yeah, I have it as Mass Storage, I don't get why it is saying PTP then when I plug it in?
    Have you tried setting the camera for PTP, to see if it will recognize it in that mode?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •