Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't install ubuntu on a new computer

Re: I can't install ubuntu on a new computer

I have found that there are driver packages that should work for the VIA chipset in the package manager.

Open up Synaptic from the Administration menu and check to see if the following are installed.

libchromexvmc1
    libchromexvmcpro1
    xserver-org-video-openchrome

If they aren't then installing them might sort out your graphic problems, although I'm not sure why they wouldn't be installed by default if you have that system.

Could you maybe post a screenshot so I can see what the problem looks like, with the display settings dialogue up would be good.

If you
    AMD64 Athlon 4200+ dual core
    ECS nForce4-A939 Socket 939 nVidia nForce4 chipset
    2GB Dual Channel 400MHz Hynix DDR PC3200
    http://southerngrey.co.cc

cleared due to double post
    Last edited by southerngrey; December 16th, 2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: cleared double post

Beans

Would missing prongs on my VGA cable be a cause of my problems. I just notice this when I disconnected the VGA cable from the computer.

I looked up the prongs on wikipedia and I am missing the prongs for I²C clock, I²C data, and +5 V DC, also that the male VGA cable is orange instead of blue. Could this be the cause of the ghosting on my computer. I can't make a screenshot of that computer as I don't have a camera and its a CRT so it would not work so well anyway.
    Last edited by robofighter; December 21st, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Thats entirely dependent on what sort of monitor etc, I don't know enough about that to help you out sorry. I would definitely try it with another cable/screen if possible though, missing pins are usually bad for business. Although I seem to recall several connectors where I have seen pins missing, it may just be the model of screen.
    Last edited by southerngrey; December 22nd, 2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: expanded answer
    AMD64 Athlon 4200+ dual core
    ECS nForce4-A939 Socket 939 nVidia nForce4 chipset
    2GB Dual Channel 400MHz Hynix DDR PC3200
    http://southerngrey.co.cc

Beans

if you boot up in recovery mode and choose to boot to text terminal try
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "vesa" to "openchrome"
    save and then reboot.
    but look up openchrome howto for better instructions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12