Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Wait a second

OK I came across a bug in Launchpad-
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/279778

Other links I found-
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/40967
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-955727.html

From what I could make out, it seems to be because "the NTFS volume's dirty bit is set and so the resize refuses to take place in case it would corrupt that volume".

The solutions I found to install Ubuntu
    1) Boot into Windows, shut down normally(this will normally clear any pagefile/cache epending operations) and then boot the CD
    2) Resize the partition within Windows(Right Click 'My Computer'--> Manage--> in the left hand pane, select Disk management--> select the partition and resize it, but don't format the freed space---> Restart and boot into Ubuntu CD--> at the partitioning step, select 'Use largest contiguous space')

Dirty bits are basically bits in the pagefile or cache memory which were changed but not properly committed to the hard disk. Usually happens when Windows shuts down before the changes can be saved to disk. The other common cause is corrupted bits or bad sectors--> as a result of data corruption/improper deletion etc. or simply because the hard drive is damaged.

I suggest you run a disk check in Windows(Right click the drive icon-> Properties--> Tools--> Check disk for errors'). This ought to fix most errors(except for physical damage to the hard drive).
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans
    Distro

Do you have Norton Antivirus installed by any chance? I've read that Norton's Recycle bin protection often leads to the dirty bit to be set 'On'.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win
    Mahatma Gandhi
    When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist- Dom Helder Camara, South American priest

Beans

Thank you, its a yes to all! i do have norton installed, i do have dirty bits and such! i will try it tommorrow, i have alot of work today

Beans

Re: Help, Much Appreciated.

the forum was down for a while.

Beans

whenever i use the largest contingious disk space option it shows ubuntu overwritng everything

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SBDxAric View Post
    whenever i use the largest contingious disk space option it shows ubuntu overwritng everything
    Do you mean that Ubuntu selects the entire disk to install to?
    Or does it select the entire freed space?

In order to resize the partition in XP you have to use an external program
    like Partition Magic or EASEUS Partition Manager 3(the Home edition is free).
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (75.0 KB, 2 views)
    • File Type: png 3.png (79.5 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: png 4.png (80.0 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: png 5.png (81.9 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: png 6.png (20.3 KB, 4 views)
    Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro

This is what it would look like after a reboot.

Update: I just tried installing Ubuntu(Kubuntu actually) in the free space(using the largest contiguous space option). It went without a hitch.

Ubuntu assuming the entire hard drive is free isn't a good sign. Can you still boot into Windows?
    Could you check to see the space of the C:\ drive(give me an idea how your hard drive is partitioned)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 7.png (171.9 KB, 4 views)
    Last edited by balaknair; January 19th, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

im sorry bout long response, internet was down. I tried it and it worked with no problem! Thank you for your help. Ill be on this forum now maybe once everyday, thanks to you!
    I heard linux is great for writing programs, is this true?

Beans
    Distro

That's great.

Linux has a number of very popular tools for writing programs, but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about them, programming is not my forte.

If you're interested in programming, I suggest going through the 'Programming Talk' category in Ubuntuforums.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Have fun.
    Bye
    Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Thank you, see you again around the forums!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456