Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Calibration

Beans

Re: Monitor Calibration

I searched, but no more info on xicc.

You can use icc profiles in f-spot if you copy your icc in

/usr/share/color/icc or /usr/local/share./color/icc

Then go to Edit-> Preferences and select under display the colour profile you have. Check both, enable and try to use system display profiles and you are ready to go.
    I did that but there isn't such an option in my f-spot preferences (version 0.4.3.1) I guess you have a newer version. Can you also select the camera profile?
    About the colour managed printing which printer do you own?
    I own a HP Photosmart D7160. I tested photo printing some months ago, but I didn't try it with a color managed system. I will post my findings when I try again. Soon I hope, but for now I'm trying to get the same visual approximated results with ufraw than those I was capable of with my old windows system.
    When i print a picture the printer instead of printing a single image prints two compressed images side by side (on A4 paper). Please help if you know anything.
    Don't know if I understand your problem, but check if you have 2 pages per sheet selected in the page configuration tab. (Assuming you got the same printer configuration dialogs I have)

Cheers, and thanks
    Last edited by glantucan; December 8th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.
    Glantucan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glantucan View Post
    I did that but there isn't such an option in my f-spot preferences (version 0.4.3.1) I guess you have a newer version. Can you also select the camera profile?

Don't know if I understand your problem, but check if you have 2 pages per sheet selected in the page configuration tab. (Assuming you got the same printer configuration dialogues I have)
    Yes i have a newer version of f-spot. My version is 0.5.0.3. There is no option to select camera profile, only the display profile.

No, i do not think there is a problem with any of the options in the config dialogues. I checked all the settings not once. And i tried different settings but i always get the same result. Very strange... With windows there is no problem at all but ubuntu is driving me crazy.

Beans

Wink Re: Monitor Calibration

Yes, welcome to club
    But the good thing is that after all that effort and crazyness, at the very end, when you solve the problem... and with enough patience I always found the solution (or a workaround, je) ... You feel that you did learn something useful, and that didn't happen to me when I worked with windows.

Anyway, do you have the same printer I have?

This week I'm pretty busy (correcting exams, sigh!), but i will be back to testing things next week. I'll try to see how my printer works then. If you are around check this thread.

Heave fun in the meantime!

Cheers!
    Glantucan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glantucan View Post
    Nice post mariosnc

Today I was wondering... If I load a monitor profile with xcalib, that doesn't mean that any application makes a conversion from the embedded profile in the image to the monitor color space, right? It's just that every color in the screen is corrected (in gamma terms), assuming it was created as sRGB. Is it so?
    Hello. I just signed up.
    xcalib just loads the correct gamma curve to the monitor. After that you have a calibrated display. Every application is affected. But you should also load the xicc atom with dispwin. Dispwin can also load the lut so xcalib is not needed anymore.
    I read about xicc (http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/xicc), wich seems to do something different: set an icc aware profile globally, so icc applications (like gimp or eog) can convert on the flay to the monitor color space. But, what if I use them both, xcalib for gamma correction and xicc for profile conversion. Are they going to conflict in any way?
    No they do not conflict. The lut loading brings the display to a known state and it is also responsible for white point. The xicc atoms are used by applications to correct colours that are send to the display.

Normaly you create the profile and install it with
    #dispwin -I myprofile.icc

After a restart the calibartion is lost so you have to loadt it again. This can be done with xcalib or dispwin.
    # dispwin -L

As you have seen in other posts here the calibration is alos reseted by the gnomescreensaver to the state before it was started the first time. A script in seassion that stop gnome-screensaver and issue dispwin takes care of that.

Another note: Some systems are not xrandr compatible and needs an enviroment variable to be set like this:
    export ARGYLL_IGNORE_XRANDR1_2=yes
    before you run dispwin.

This color management stuff is an infinite source of anxiety and misunderstandings, (sigh)
    Yes it is. I have used many years myself to try to learn this. I have still a long way to go.
    The documenation over at argyllcms is recomended:
    http://argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html#PM1
    What I am actually looking for is to get a color managed workflow, and for that I want/need:
    [*]A color managed lightweight wiewer (like gthumb or eye of gnome. Not done) There is noway to configure that through preferences so I guess they are not "color aware" yet.
    Eye of gnome (eog) reads the xicc atom by default on ubuntu. That is very nice.
    [*]A color managed picture editor like GIMP (done). Configurable through preferences.
    Yes, and you can also use the "use system default" to read the xicc atom.
    [*]A color managed RAW converter (for now I'm happy and done with ufraw)[*]A color managed printing software (next step when I'm satisfied with he previous ones)
    Ufraw can also read the xicc atom. Photoprint is a nice application with color managment support. The same author have now started to work with a linearizing tool for gutenprint.

Not far away from there, I think, but still I have a lot of questions.

Cheers!

Cheers from me to and I whis you good luck.

Beans

Today Im going to buy a colorimeter to calibrate my monitor. Has anybody a suggestion of something which works on linux?

Thanks
    Glantucan

Beans

Angry Re: Monitor Calibration

I did buy a calibrator already.
    I bought X-Rite ColorMunki... Don't ask me why. I knew it's not supported, yet, by argyll. But the point of being able to calibrate the monitor and the printer with the same device convinced me to spend 500 euros on this (Being able to calibrate a projector was also a plus). The seller was very convincing

The bad news?... Though there is no sign of it in the packaging neither the printed quick start instructions, it only calibrates LCD or laptop monitors. I got upset when I discovered this, after installing the software on windows.

Eventually I found a post in the support forum with a technician climing that it was possible to calibrate CRT monitors just using the LCD option, so I did try it. Nothing to loose once the package was already open.

The profiling procedure is really fast and easy. But the profile I got produce a orange cast on the highlights and oversaturated colors everywere.

Oh! I'm not asking for support in this forum about this issue, by the way. Just advicing not to buy this product. There are lots of issues reported, specially regarding the software, as it seems the hardware is pretty good. Maybe when argyll support it, will be a top quality calibrator.

All that last is the hope to get my money back, or at least to be able to exchage it for another calibrator.
    Glantucan

Beans

I did some further tests with this calibrator. I think I made a mistake criticizing it so soon.

It seems my monitor is so bright that the spectrophotometer was saturating, and that could be the reason I got highlights clipped to orange when calibrating.

I decreased the brightness of the monitor and this problem didn't show again.

I still have to do some experimentation.
    Glantucan

Beans

Um probably missing the post but.

The spider is supposed to have official linux software made by its makers.

Beans

Question Re: Monitor Calibration

just my two cents but I feel that Ubuntu needs to work more on monitor profiles and setting them right instead of using Generics its funny because suse10.3 did this why cant ubuntu?
    We All Must Do What We Think Is Right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12