Thread: kernel compilation

Beans

kernel compilation

this is my first time trying to compile a kernel. I got this error rusty@rusty-green:~/linux/linux-2.6.27.10$ sudo ~/linux/linux-2.6.27.11/Makefile[sudo] password for rusty:
    sudo: /home/rusty/linux/linux-2.6.27.11/Makefile: command not found

I have the latest version of make. What is the problem?

thxs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: kernel compilation

If you are determined to compile your own kernel, this guide might be useful for you: http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_ubuntu. Generally compiling your own kernel isn't needed though. What specifically are you trying to accomplish?
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

I'm trying my hand at building a kernel and following directions from a book "Linux kernel in a nutshell" I got to this command,

Code:
    sudo ls ~/linux/linux-2.6.27.11/Makefile
    and got stuck. I don't know what Makefile is?

thxs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_jones View Post
    I'm trying my hand at building a kernel and following directions from a book "Linux kernel in a nutshell" I got to this command,

Code:
    sudo ls ~/linux/linux-2.6.27.11/Makefile
    and got stuck. I don't know what Makefile is?

thxs
    The Makefile tells the make command how to compile your kernel. If the Makefile doesn't exist, it's possible you have not done the './configure' command? (If you haven't configured your kernel, how could it have a Makefile to know how to compile your kernel?)

I compiled my own kernel for a while just for the sheer thrill of knowing that I've done it. In the end though, on a run of the mill PC, it isn't worth the hassle at all. The benefit of a manually compiled kernel vs. the vanilla version is non-existent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ostracize View Post
    I compiled my own kernel for a while just for the sheer thrill of knowing that I've done it. In the end though, on a run of the mill PC, it isn't worth the hassle at all. The benefit of a manually compiled kernel vs. the vanilla version is non-existent.
    I would agree here. I've run custom compiled kernels for years and "performance" is not a valid reason to compile your own kernel. There aren't many valid reasons to compile your own kernel.

Beans

It might be worth it if you want to patch kernel module yourself. I know this only requires module rebuilding, but once I did that (having most recent generic-kernel and kernel sources) I couldn't insmod the result. I had to have my very own full kernel. Luckily I had kernel config since my gentoo times, so it wasn't a problem.

The module I'm talking about is uvcvideo. Since 2.6.27 it's included in mainstream kernel, but Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000 has issues with it, so a third-party patch is requred.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by fmb View Post
    It might be worth it if you want to patch kernel module yourself. I know this only requires module rebuilding, but once I did that (having most recent generic-kernel and kernel sources) I couldn't insmod the result. I had to have my very own full kernel. Luckily I had kernel config since my gentoo times, so it wasn't a problem.

The module I'm talking about is uvcvideo. Since 2.6.27 it's included in mainstream kernel, but Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000 has issues with it, so a third-party patch is requred.
    The v4l modules can be a bit tricky to build if you get them out of mercurial. They don't install in standard places and so you are likely to get conflicts when loading the modules. I generally have to delete the entire v4l subsystem from the kernel modules before installing it.