Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOW TO: Switch desktops in 3D view! Cool!

Excellent post! Its quite easy to get up and running thanks to this guide.

PixelPOET I've mapped keys thanks to your post but I'd like to map the windows key as its unused, do you know what the tag is for this, <win> ?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've found the bind for the left windows key <mod4> but it doesnt work on its own so I've bound it to leftwin+z, <mod4>z

Beans

Looks like that with the dapper dev release, the 3ddesk will become outdated... no really, you don't know the power in your desktop until you try compiz and XGL...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

This is just great.
    I am using a three button mouse. The center button, what I just discovered, is actually the wheel between the two main buttons. I didn't know it was a clickable button.

I did have to install the additonal drivers for the VooDoo 3D FX card, cool, and easy too using Synaptic and searching string voodoo.

Following the instructions as laid out, and selecting an appropriate icon, it landed on the bottom task bar, which is what I had chosen. I have four task bars, one for each edge of the screen.

Using the left button on the mouse brought in the 3D display mode when clicking on the icon one time.

Okay, so far so good.

I have allocated ten desktops. Each desktop is running multiple applications.

I discovered I can rotate the display either using the wheel of the mouse, up/down, or by using the left/right buttons accordingly.

By rotating the desktops on the screen and choosing one, I then discovered by click the wheel, which is a button, it will select the screen that is front and center of the displayed screens.

This is just too good to be true really.

Hang on, I need to take a depp breath and pour more coffee !

Okay. Back.

With a desktop open, and the desire to switch to another desktop, I click the 3D icon once, using the left mouse button, this returns display of all ten desktops in rotation mode, sweet.

There is one anomaly, or deviation from common rule.

Although I have allocated ten desktops, when rotating the 3D display and it goes past the ninth desktop, the next one is numbered 1. Not good.

That can be fixed though I'm sure.

Another anomaly is. Once I have all ten desktops loaded in the 3D display, it forgets them. More about that later, okay.

For the most part, this is way too cool. Just super.

Enough said and many thanks for the informations on how to do it !

Beans

this cool, but mine goes wonky... it just starts switching back and forth between desktops and I cant get out of it short of switching over to a console and killing its task. Anyone else had this problem?

EDIT - After disabling the random movement (set the delay to a huge number), I dont experience the problem anymore.
    Last edited by DBO; March 20th, 2006 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

clear concise instructions, and got it up and runnig in short order, thank you very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Amazing feature, thanks for the How To!

One question though; I have 4 monitors, each with their own sessions. 3ddesk only works within the monitor that I started the daemon on. Even executing the task on another monitor starts the switcher on the monitor it was started on.

Is there a way to have 3ddesk apply to all sessions, or at least to bind different keys to different sessions?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

awsome thanks.
    All us non-programer types need to take a second and admire how very good Ubuntu performs. All you programer types need to know that you rock and get back to writing code and stop surfing, unless you are looking for problems to fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I'm a total n00b and got that working! Ain't Ubuntu great!?

Beans

This is a fun little app, thanks for the How-To.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast