Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to edit PLACES menu (not bookmarks!)

Beans

Re: How to edit PLACES menu (not bookmarks!)

I was going to start this this thread before I discovered that it already exists. I am astounded by the fact that there is no good answer at all (aside from hiding certain partitions).

As an example, I find that I frequently want to go to /usr, and doing so is cumbersome. I can create a Launcher for /usr, but I cannot drag and drop it on the Places menu.

If you right click on unused space in the Places menu, there is an option to "Edit Menus". However, the menu editing software does not allow one to edit the Places menu. I tried to create a "Places2" submenu in the Applications menu. The New Item dialogue allows specification of locations as opposed to applications, but I was unable to make it work.

What gives? This should not be so hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can easily add /usr to Nautilus' bookmarks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    You can easily add /usr to Nautilus' bookmarks.
    Yes; but, if that is the solution, then why do I need the Places menu at all? It would then make more sense to always just launch the file browser first, rather than to evoke the Places menu.

My own intermediate solution (until the Ubuntu developers have provided support for editing the Places menu) is to put a launcher for /usr (and a couple of other places I frequently visit) on the panel.

I tried the procedure to hide certain partitions, but I could not make it work. The partitions I wanted to hide were a small system-description partition and a recovery partition, neither of ongoing interest. I actually want Ubuntu to be able to mount the partition in which Vista is installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't understand. If you add /usr to bookmarks in Nautilus, the entry will show in Places as well as in the left panel. I've tested it just now. You can then open /usr location either by selecting Places->usr, or by opening the file browser and navigating to /usr. In fact, you can create bookmarks to any location, and they'll show under places.

As for removing entries, the solution suggested worked very well. I just hid sda1, sda2 and sda3, all Windows related partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

To people who actually want to remove the default entries on the Places menu, they are .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, the same as the other menu entries. The Places -> Home Folder launcher is /usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop, for example. You can change these the same as any other .desktop file, including by putting Hidden=True in there. This will change it for all users, but since most of the people who request this appear to be on single-user systems, it will do. Otherwise you can create .menu files that will exclude those .desktop files for just one user.

To DrHow, adding a bookmark will automatically add an entry to the Places menu, as mikewhatever said. If you want your Vista partition to be mounted, you can add an entry for it in /etc/fstab so that that partition gets mounted and you don't have to see the others on your Desktop.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    To DrHow, adding a bookmark will automatically add an entry to the Places menu, as mikewhatever said.
    He did not say that adding the bookmark in Nautilus would have the Places side effect I was seeking. I figured that the bookmark would only help me if I invoked the file browser, so I did not even try his suggestion. Now I will.

If you want your Vista partition to be mounted, you can add an entry for it in /etc/fstab so that that partition gets mounted and you don't have to see the others on your Desktop.
    I don't need for it to be mounted by default; but it would be nice if that icon did not have to appear on the desktop when it is mounted. If the fstab approach has this effect, then I will mount it by default.

I don't understand about "others", as none appear on the desktop until I actually access them. There are other partitions besides the Vista one which are not mounted by default and which I do wish to access at times. However, the two from the computer manufacturer certainly do not need to be seen ever in Ubuntu.

The advice about the .desktop files is the sort of answer I would have been expecting as the answer to the question of this thread. There had to be a file somewhere describing the Places menu. I just had no idea where to look, since my search on files with "places" in the name was not productive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I don't understand. If you add /usr to bookmarks in Nautilus, the entry will show in Places as well as in the left panel. I've tested it just now. You can then open /usr location either by selecting Places->usr, or by opening the file browser and navigating to /usr. In fact, you can create bookmarks to any location, and they'll show under places.
    I did not understand about the side effect, so the above explanation would have been more helpful the first time around.

As for removing entries, the solution suggested worked very well. I just hid sda1, sda2 and sda3, all Windows related partitions.
    I must have blundered when I tried to implement it. Alas, when I just tried again to visit the page where it is described, I discovered that the reference is no longer valid because the blogger is changing from Wordpress to Joomla. Is there an alternative route to that advice? I just found some advice apparently addressing the same issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=668748
    Maybe that will work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DrHow View Post
    I must have blundered when I tried to implement it. Alas, when I just tried again to visit the page where it is described, I discovered that the reference is no longer valid because the blogger is changing from Wordpress to Joomla. Is there an alternative route to that advice? I just found some advice apparently addressing the same issue: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=668748
    Maybe that will work for me.
    I used this link.
    The partitions disappeared from places immediately, without rebooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Firefox->File->Save As.

Browse to the folder you want to add and select it. Bottom left, select Add.

Or am I misunderstanding the Q?
    Microsoft Patents the Crippling of Operating Systems. (Link: Patent 7,536,726)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by DrHow View Post
    He did not say that adding the bookmark in Nautilus would have the Places side effect I was seeking. I figured that the bookmark would only help me if I invoked the file browser, so I did not even try his suggestion. Now I will.
    Of course. I was just reiterating that it was probably the solution that you were after.

I don't need for it to be mounted by default; but it would be nice if that icon did not have to appear on the desktop when it is mounted. If the fstab approach has this effect, then I will mount it by default.

I don't understand about "others", as none appear on the desktop until I actually access them. There are other partitions besides the Vista one which are not mounted by default and which I do wish to access at times. However, the two from the computer manufacturer certainly do not need to be seen ever in Ubuntu.
    Fair enough. There is a setting for whether icons get put on the desktop when a partition is mounted in /media (which is the default location for removable drives). In gconf-editor, it's the /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible setting. Or you can put an entry in fstab that mounts the partition somewhere other than /media. /mnt is a commonly-used location for this purpose. If you don't want the partition to be automatically mounted, it doesn't have to be. Once you've got the entry in /etc/fstab, you can put noauto as an option for that line to stop that partition being mounted at boot time. You can then manually mount that partition with sudo mount <device name>.

The advice about the .desktop files is the sort of answer I would have been expecting as the answer to the question of this thread. There had to be a file somewhere describing the Places menu. I just had no idea where to look, since my search on files with "places" in the name was not productive.
    Yeah. The whole .desktop method of doing things is really flexible. Which means that it can be quite hard to find specifics about a particular implementation. Once you've got a starting point it's quite straightforward to find out how to use it, but it's getting the starting point that's a challenge.

Good luck with your customisations.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast