Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10 Meg OS - Tiny Core Linux is great

Beans

Re: 10 Meg OS - Tiny Core Linux is great

Quote Originally Posted by cardinals_fan View Post
    I'm still not sure if that constitutes a "real" install. Wouldn't that just boot the live system from the hard drive instead of the CD?
    i tried it my self, and it seems to be a real install , i tried installing opera, then rebooting, and it was still installed
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markp1989 View Post
    i tried it my self, and it seems to be a real install , i tried installing opera, then rebooting, and it was still installed
    Interesting.

Beans

would someone explain what to do with grub to not get the livecd like effect from the hdd?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    would someone explain what to do with grub to not get the livecd like effect from the hdd?
    Use init1's method from here. Worked for me.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What's keeping me from SliTaz is there appears to be major problems with Nvidia 3D support, it looks like even when you compile them, 3D fails.

Thus, the smallest distro I tried so far was TinyMe 2008.1. But the folks of TinyMe seem to need a scolding, for not including Firefox 3 and using Opera instead!

Opera is *proprietary*! Unnecessary, because Firefox 3 does the job!

Even worse, I couldn't get a version of Firefox higher than 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 with Synaptic!

I don't want to see anything other than the Nvidia driver and Flash for proprietary components!
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; December 18th, 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    What's keeping me from SliTaz is there appears to be major problems with Nvidia 3D support, it looks like even when you compile them, 3D fails.

Thus, the smallest distro I tried so far was TinyMe 2008.1. But the folks of TinyMe seem to need a scolding, for not including Firefox 3 and using Opera instead!

Opera is *proprietary*! Unnecessary, because Firefox 3 does the job!

Even worse, I couldn't get a version of Firefox higher than 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 with Synaptic!

I don't want to see anything other than the Nvidia driver and Flash for proprietary components!
    The sad fact is that proprietary Opera is faster than open Firefox. Check out an article in Linux format magazine that discussed various different browsers and their pros and cons.

If you need to get an old system running like a new beast try Opera.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234