Thread: Ubuntu Just Freezes! (Toshiba Laptop C655D-S5300) Please help!

Beans

Ubuntu Just Freezes! (Toshiba Laptop C655D-S5300) Please help!

My wife just got this new Toshiba laptop a couple of weeks ago, and after getting fed up with Windows, she agreed to give Ubuntu a shot after hearing me rave about it. So, we did an installation with the old Ubuntu 11.04 cd that I had laying around where it would leave Windows 7 on her laptop and also save all her files/user settings for Ubuntu. Well, after she's on Ubuntu for a little bit, not long, it just freezes, can't do anything at all, complete system lockup. She really wants to switch to Ubuntu, I'm not sure why the freeze is happening. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Just Freezes! (Toshiba Laptop C655D-S5300) Please help!

It seems like it may possible be something with the network driver, as everytime we try to use it, it seems like shortly thereafter is when the system freezes/locks up. I found that this person possibly had the same issue that I had? - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=Laptop But this person mentions installing "Lucid," and that's not something I did.

Also, maybe this would be a solution - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...80&postcount=6

Maybe it's something to do with this "Realtek" wireless ntwk driver? But would that explain the system freezing? It seems like there's issues with this particular driver.

I guess I could try installing the driver from that post above? But I have no internet connection on this new laptop. I do have a hard network connection on my desktop PC upstairs, where the main line comes int....

I'm stumped on where to go at this point guys, I really could use some help. My wife is fed up with Windows and really wants to switch over to Ubuntu. After all my raving about how great Ubuntu is, and now this happens, makes me feel like I need to eat my words!

Any help would be great.

Beans

Arrow Re: Ubuntu Just Freezes! (Toshiba Laptop C655D-S5300) Please help!

I highly suggest for all C655D-S5300 Toshiba users to install lubuntu (light-ubuntu). The fact that Unity is for now a very recent project means that some processes are still heavy and buggy. At least for some small configurations. It is definitely the case for this laptop.

I have purchased it in order to travel and to do all the "quick stuff" like mailing, browsing, media and so on. Lubuntu do very well the job and is fast and stable.