Thread: kdm dying at boot - no graphical login

Beans

Question kdm dying at boot - no graphical login

I tried posting this in General Help, but I think this is probably the proper place for it.

Strange problem, system boots normally, I get the splash screen with the 'dots' but then nothing.

I can Ctrl-F1 to a terminal, login and then run startx& and the KDE desktop runs fine (although Muon doesn't authorise now and there are another couple of issues)

Looking in syslog, the only things that do not look right are

Code:
    Nov 19 10:57:58 AMARI-UBUNTU kernel: [   17.878884] init: apport post-stop process (951) terminated with status 1
    Nov 19 10:57:58 AMARI-UBUNTU kernel: [   17.923107] init: kdm main process (912) killed by TERM signal
    Nov 19 10:57:58 AMARI-UBUNTU kernel: [   17.938369] init: gdm main process (950) killed by TERM signal
    kdm.log is empty
    nothing weird in Xorg.0.log

I don't know enough about the boot process to delve much deeper

Any ideas or pointers please .....

Beans

Re: kdm dying at boot - no graphical login

same problem here. especially, it appeared after removing gdm, but I don't know if it's related or if it's instead some upgraded package that introduced the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Did you initially install Kubuntu, or did you add KDE later? What version?

Beans

problem solved for me.

it appears that removing gdm while it was selected to be the default DM was actually the problem.

by installing gdm again, and then switching between kdm and gdm as default (so that all configuration files were correctly cleaned up) solved the issue for me.

in short:
    sudo apt-get install gdm (and when conf dialog appears, select the DM that is not currently set)
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm (and select again the default wished DM)
    sudo apt-get remove gdm

still I believe there might be a bug, as uninstalling one DM (though the default one) should not lead to a non-graphical-boot but to selecting the other one as default, shouldn't it?

BTW, I also tried to just dpkg-reconfigure kdm when gdm was uninstalled, but that didn't make any difference
    and also update-rc.d kdm defaults didn't work (apparently kdm wasn't even loaded at startup at first!)

@gordintoronto: oneiric version, kubuntu installed first, then gnome added and removed short after

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poomerang View Post
    problem solved for me.

it appears that removing gdm while it was selected to be the default DM was actually the problem.

by installing gdm again, and then switching between kdm and gdm as default (so that all configuration files were correctly cleaned up) solved the issue for me.

in short:
    sudo apt-get install gdm (and when conf dialog appears, select the DM that is not currently set)
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm (and select again the default wished DM)
    sudo apt-get remove gdm

still I believe there might be a bug, as uninstalling one DM (though the default one) should not lead to a non-graphical-boot but to selecting the other one as default, shouldn't it?

BTW, I also tried to just dpkg-reconfigure kdm when gdm was uninstalled, but that didn't make any difference
    and also update-rc.d kdm defaults didn't work (apparently kdm wasn't even loaded at startup at first!)

@gordintoronto: oneiric version, kubuntu installed first, then gnome added and removed short after

Thank you - for some reason I did not get a notification of any replies !!

After a recent update even my 'login and startx' workaround stopped functioning properly so today I started looking at this again and you are spot on.

I can repeat the issue as well.
    Kubuntu install, then install gdm, set as default, remove gdm, trashes config which cannot be reconfigured without reinstalling gdm and using 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm' to select kdm first

Thank you