Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLI status message annoyance

Question CLI status message annoyance

Okay, I'm not sure what these messages are technically called, but they are really bugging the bejeezus out of me. I use the virtual terminals and screen extensively; I'm becoming a total geek for the CLI. I just love it. But I'm having an issue with messages, like the following:

* Stopping anac(h)ronistic cron daemon
    * Starting anac(h)ronistic cron daemon

[some message about the noise floor on my wireless card]

etc., etc., etc..

It's like, I'm just pecking away at some Perl code in nano and, hey, here's some info about your usb hdd's bad sectors right in the middle of everything. And it seems like the system knows when I don't want to be bothered with this junk and the random-system-info fairy starts really acting up (let's not bring Occam's Razor into this, I've seen the damn thing).

I'm sure there's a way to send this to a null device or dump it to a text file instead of the terminal, but I don't even know what the things are called, so that's really nipped my research in the bud. I know I can use xterm or whatever to circumvent this, but I really would rather use my tty(X). Any tips would be appreciated.
    Last edited by doktor_apokalypse; February 25th, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: CLI status message annoyance

You could try pressing Alt + SysRq + 0 (all at once. SysRq shares a key with PrintScrn)

From here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

The numbers 0 to 9 set the console log level.

That might help.

Red face Re: CLI status message annoyance

Okay, I tried the Magic SysRq business, alas, no luck. This only makes varying-degrees-of-more messages, never less. On the positive side, I learned something new (I was not, hitherto, savvy to the SysRq key's function), and now I have reason to believe that I'm dealing with the "console log", so at least that's a lead. =D> Bravo and thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Press Ctrl-Alt-F2. The messages you are seeing are printed to the first virtual terminal. Ctrl-Alt-F2 will take you to the second virtual terminal, which should be free of such noise.

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Press Ctrl-Alt-F2. The messages you are seeing are printed to the first virtual terminal. Ctrl-Alt-F2 will take you to the second virtual terminal, which should be free of such noise.

I knew suspected this reply would come and I should have addressed this in my first post:
    the messages appear in every terminal, 1-6, whichever I happen to be using at the time.

Seriously. I wish I was just making that up.

Also, I tried editing /etc/syslog.conf and just commenting everything out. That appears to be the wrong approach, so back to square one. C'est la vie.

EDIT: If it helps, I am on Intrepid, AMD64.
    Last edited by doktor_apokalypse; February 25th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doktor_apokalypse View Post

Also, I tried editing /etc/syslog.conf and just commenting everything out. That appears to be the wrong approach, so back to square one. C'est la vie.
    What does

Code:
    cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    say?

Alter for the present session with:

Code:
    sudo echo "4 4 1 7" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    Alter permanently with:

Code:
    sudo editor /etc/sysctl.conf
    Brian.

@brian_p:

Code:
    cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    yields

Code:
    4	4	1	7
    already.

so ... ugh, this is frustrating. thanks, though.

EDIT: I tried updating printk with several different values, including 4 1 1 7, 1 1 1 7 and 0 0 0 0 as well as some others. this had no effect on my system's blasted verbosity.
    Last edited by doktor_apokalypse; February 25th, 2009 at 02:43 PM.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doktor_apokalypse View Post

so ... ugh, this is frustrating. thanks, though.
    The idea was for you to alter the levels to suit your needs. On this machine:

Code:
    brian@laptop:~$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    7       4       1       7
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    The idea was for you to alter the levels to suit your needs.
    After a moment's reflection I did realize your intention, alas, nothing seems to change.
    Last edited by doktor_apokalypse; February 25th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.

Talking Re: CLI status message annoyance

Okay, I was a little too hasty to decide nothing was changing.
    After some slightly-more detailed testing (unplugging, replugging usb, which was giving me like 15 lines of info), using
    Code:
    sirius@dogstar:-$ sudo su 
    [sudo] password for sirius: 
    root@dogstar:/home/sirius# echo "1 1 1 1" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk
    does clear up a lot, if not all, of the verbosity from printk, so thanks brian_p, that really did work. I think the only msg I'm getting now is from the anacron daemon, but none of the other junk.

EDIT: I just noticed that I used the word "alas" 3 4 times in this thread. Must be stuck in my neuro-semantic processor.
    Last edited by doktor_apokalypse; February 26th, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast