Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 12.04

I removed the iso since nobody outside of the usual posters seemed interested and nobody was testing the updated packages I posted.

EDIT:

An expanded justification for eep:

One of the main reasons for the iso was to make it easier for imac G3/G4 users so that it worked "out of the box". The iso in its current state fails for G3 users in this regard becuase I set it up to boot into exa mode, and we have since learned that there are problems with this.

The r128 package has now been upgraded/updated, but I'm not prepared to put another iso together with it unless the package has been tested. It takes a lot of time to build an iso and upload it. Far far more than for a r128 user to test the packages I uploaded.

There are other niggly things wrong with the iso, I gave some dodgy advice to radeon users for example.

I was not happy with it, so I removed it.

But I have not stopped a user from installing xubuntu if they want. They should just use the mini iso. And I have not ruled out an improved iso being produced, but that is dependant on people testing the packages I posted. An existing lubuntu or whatever user could do this, it is not necessary to install xubuntu to test the xorg packages.
    Last edited by rsavage; March 24th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.

Beans

This http://ubuntuone.com/6GYRvnI5mAiw62UybwElQ5 is a link for Mate 1.4 (see http://mate-desktop.org/ ) PowerPC packages (compiled for precise). It's pretty big (164 MB) so probably best to make sure it has downloaded okay:

md5sum mate-1.4.tar.gz
    636cdd6d29f620bfdea1604b27b0fe14 mate-1.4.tar.gz

sha256sum mate-1.4.tar.gz
    ab0a7d0abcd920ba19882229604785649cf60f3f077c99346c a0cb853ed5b87b mate-1.4.tar.gz

Extract it to your home folder.

Adjust your sources:

gksudo leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list

and add the line

deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/home/your-user-name/mate-1.4 precise main

Then install:

sudo apt-get update
    # this will install base packages
    sudo apt-get install mate-core
    # this will install more packages
    sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment

Everything should work pretty okay I think (although i haven't tested a lot) so please don't bombard me with questions, because I'll basically ignore them (if that doesnt sound too rude). I posted the packages up to save you from compiling them yourself, but that doesn't mean I'm offering technical support (unless you want to pay me). You'd be better off using your time to look for your own solutions, but of course you can post your solution up here for others. One thing I did notice when testing myself was that the help files for a lot of the applications are missing. This is becasue they are moving over to a wiki based system and nobody has volunteered yet to write the documentation yet (...gosh that sounds familiar....).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I removed the iso since nobody outside of the usual posters seemed interested and nobody was testing the updated packages I posted.
    . like how can folks like "Svetlana" find her way to this .iso if she ever passes by this thread again, etc?????
    @rsavage:

Well, as the creator of the .iso I guess that is your right, but frankly perhaps a tad impatient . . . if you don't mind some feedback from a mid-fifties fellow human . . . . It takes time to make changes and test stuff out, and clearly some people have families and things to do, so it's not going to be in a period of weeks that anything is going to happen . . . . I get that you put a lot of work into your 'buntu for PPC projects and perhaps the response is disproportionate and underwhelming, but we have the recent example of someone looking for a PPC friendly OS in "Svetlana" . . . but the .iso is gone . . . so she'll probably shop elsewhere. Think about it. We all suffer disappointment, I've written now 3 books that I think are important for people to understand life, with a similar response level . . . people aren't interested for one reason or another, it's just the way it is . . . but I wouldn't unwrite them, because what I learned from writing them is invaluable to me, etc.

In terms of the package updates, unfortunately my skilz with Linux are not developed enough to know how to download and extract files that way, yet. I'm very comfortable with the "sudo update/upgrade" method. Of course I can edit my sources list, but stll not at the place where CLI to add packages "by hand" . . . . And I might be able to find out how to do that, but I have stuff to do and it would take time . . . . I appreciate the MATE DE package and the fact that you give instructions about how to get to it, perhaps I'll get around to it. I'm sure str8 & abtabt can make use of it and over time the word will get out. But, considering that 12.04 is supposed to be LTS consider that having your .iso available during that time . . . makes sense to share your work, again. : - )

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    Well, as the creator of the .iso I guess that is your right, but frankly perhaps a tad impatient . . .
    I edited the post with my justifications, impatience has nothing to do with it.

Although people should take the opportunity to test things now while we have the attention of the r128 developer. Don't know what the time scales for 13.04 are, but I should imagine it is pretty tight to get changes in now.
    Last edited by rsavage; March 24th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.

Beans

I'm sorry, but what am I supposed to download and burn to a CD/USB, then? It's not very clear.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana Tovarisch View Post
    I'm sorry, but what am I supposed to download and burn to a CD/USB, then? It's not very clear.
    Hi Svetlana. I agree the 6 year old 23 page FAQ thread doesn't exactly make it clear.

My recommendation is 12.04 from here. For the iMac you probably want to got with Lubuntu iso or Xubuntu via alternate/mini iso. Check the PPC FAQ for instructions on creating/booting USB.

The ISO rsavage was testing had some patches/workarounds incorporated to help R128/iMac users that you will have to add yourself if interested. eg: Monitor section in xorg.conf, oldmesa, and EXA.

If you run in to problems, start a thread and there are plenty here who will help out. The PPC FAQ and Known Issues are kept well maintained so many issues can be resolved via those resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post

EDIT:
    An expanded justification for eep:
    One of the main reasons for the iso was to make it easier for imac G3/G4 users so that it worked "out of the box". The iso in its current state fails for G3 users in this regard becuase I set it up to boot into exa mode, and we have since learned that there are problems with this.
    The r128 package has now been upgraded/updated, but I'm not prepared to put another iso together with it unless the package has been tested. It takes a lot of time to build an iso and upload it. Far far more than for a r128 user to test the packages I uploaded.
    There are other niggly things wrong with the iso, I gave some dodgy advice to radeon users for example.
    @rsavage:

Alrighty, thanks for the expanded explication, but a further couple points, first, your .iso did work very well right out of the box with no boot parameters on my G4 iBook, and also it booted into a very good screen on my iMac with the boot parems you provided . . . which was not the case with the Xu 12.04 I have installed there already, where I had to go thru a process to get the "nv" driver--your .iso did that, so probably for G4 iMac users the .iso would be a time saver. If I was brand new to Linux as I was 2 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to get it installed and I would have had to turn to mintppc and that whole story . . . . So, whether or not your .iso is perfect or not, it worked very well for me, as an end user--I appreciate it and thank you--others should have the chance to find their way to it. My iBook has the radeon driver, but everything seems to be OK more or less, so I didn't understand your dodgy radeon advice--no harm no foul. In terms of acceleration, I don't think I have enough RAM for it, haven't had time to check if I have an r128 package, and the iMac is f**ked up . . . and unfortunately, don't know how to install .tar . . . . In terms of G3 users, you could always update your .iso and post it later in this thread?? We have a new tester with ST . . . but, now, nothing for her to even try.

@str8bs: Homes, I already posted that link and same advice to Svetlana in post number 279 . . . . You're late dude, where you been at? : - )

e.e.p.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana Tovarisch View Post
    @STovarisch:

You should probably download a "desktop" CD/DVD so that you could test it before installing, it looks like Lubuntu 12.04 for PPC would be the choice, if the Xubun 12.04 is only available as mini.iso. You could always add the XFCE DE later on . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

This http://ubuntuone.com/4sgEKgpqsNjsGybWBTFD7W is a link for Mint Maya PowerPC packages. Depending on the flavour you want, you can use them with the mate packages I posted in post #282, with standard kde packages or with the xfce-4.10 packages I posted in #267. EDIT: There is also cinnamon, although I couldn't get it to work with my iBook, maybe nouveau users will have more luck? Four distros in one post!

md5sum mint-maya.tar.gz
    cffcedbdbe9dfc5fe2dea80815301282 mint-maya.tar.gz

sha256sum mint-maya.tar.gz
    456a1fa70fdd486df0e05361de741e50acbe5d89ea4f89e2f9 10ba689152be0a mint-maya.tar.gz

After extracting the file, add the following lines to your sources.list:

# For a list of packages see http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Maya
    # We have to put arch=i386 to pickup the generic 'all' packages.
    deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/home/your-user-name/mint-maya precise main upstream
    deb [ arch=i386 ] http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import

You could also add the backport repository.

Then run:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring

I haven't included the mate-1.2/1.3 packages since LinuxMint don't publish all the necessary source code. There are also a few other missing packages such as mintmenu-keybinder, gtk2-engines-candido and nautilus-gksu. I did write and ask if it was possible to get the missing source code, but no response yet.

I've adjusted some of the meta packages since PowerPC doesn't have things like ndiswrapper. You'll find all the changes documented in the relevant directories. The codecs from medibuntu are not included in the meta packages, you'll have to manually download them as instructed in the FAQ.

[EDIT]
    If you want Mate 1.2/13 packages like Mint Maya then I've compiled the available packages and done a best guess at the missing source code using the mate git repository. To download mate-1.2.tar.gz - http://ubuntuone.com/3qRIv2XELj7BDFzpj6Rajp

sha1sum mate-1.2.tar.gz
    e31e03940e8b84e23f4c27ac778f85bf0e8aaf73 mate-1.2.tar.gz

sha256sum mate-1.2.tar.gz
    8439325158c05807985ba0179491fea22cf2c3c826e8f3b9ee ca7575f83a47de mate-1.2.tar.gz

md5sum mate-1.2.tar.gz
    21172a4efa20a3c0c262d39d79dfe7d9 mate-1.2.tar.gz

[EDIT2]
    Instead of mintmenu-keybinder you can follow the advice in this bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/898184 .
    Last edited by rsavage; April 5th, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added 1.2 packages

Beans

@rsavage:

Thanks for the MATE package, maybe someday I'll figure out how to install it. Mainly posting here to note that it's interesting that MATE is available for PPC . . . I have LM13 MATE 64 with various other DEs loaded on my MBPro, but they appear to no longer support PPC on their main site? Which might fill in the blanks on the "Mint" vs mintppc story, w/mintppc being an attempt to carry the LM items over to PPC???

e.e.p.

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast