Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 5 laptop problem linux mint

Beans

Re: Samsung series 5 laptop problem linux mint

Quote Originally Posted by Filee View Post
    Did not find a manual, but somehow I got it open. There were a lot of latches. Anyway, this is the inside of the computer. I think I know which one is the cmos battery. Dont know which one is the issd. There seem to be 3 cables from the motherboard to the battery.

Here is an imgur gallery of how it looks inside. Do you know what the issd could be?

http://imgur.com/a/jdvvj

EDIT: The issd is cleared, now it just boots the samsung screen over and over, but the same problem as earlier. The boot blasts by so fast that there is no time to press f2 to get into bios. I had the cmos battery out for 2 min, did not reset the bios.
    Disconnect the main battery & cmos battery at the same time and leave disconnected for 2min or so. The cmos battery acts as a backup battery to the main battery I suspect so you have to disconnect both in order to clear the cmos settings.

Also check if there is no reset jumpers or buttons on the board.

Also try hitting the escape key rapidly while turning the power on. Also try the same with the f2 key.

The cmos might have a predetermined boot order set so maybe plug a usb stick in and see if it picks that up.

EDIT: I see a label in one of your picks indicating a reset button on what looks like the bottom of your laptop?
    Last edited by mips; October 9th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Beans

So this is what happend, I tapped like a maniac , every single button there was, and it went to boot from my usb xD.

It was either f8 or f9 that made it! Installing windows now !

Beans

So this is what happend, I tapped like a maniac , every single button there was, and it went to boot from my usb xD.

It was either f8 or f9 that made it! Installing windows now !
    Cool stuff, install Windows to the hard drive, install MS security essentials, update, install Samsung utilities and disable fast boot for now.
    http://www.samsung.com/my/support/mo...01MY-downloads

Next install linux to the ssd.
    Last edited by mips; October 9th, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Cool stuff, install Windows to the hard drive, install MS security essentials, update, install Samsung utilities and disable fast boot for now.

Next install linux to the ssd.
    Yeah , though I am installing windows on the ssd now just so It boots to windows before I disable the fastboot. Then I will reinstall windows on the mechanical, then replace windows on the ssd with linux ^^

Which was fail since it does not boot anything, even if the "windows" is on the ssd now.

F9 does always boot from the usb, gonna install windows on the mechanical now. I am using a bootable windows 7 disc that I had laying around. If this does not work I will make the samsung windows 7 disc bootable instead.

EDIT:
    It simply does not want to boot from the HDD
    Last edited by Filee; October 9th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Beans

keep us updated.

Beans

So things I will do now, since it seems that it wont boot using the hdd. I assume samsung windows 7 is somehow connected to the issue, but it did boot using grub-gnu before I cleared the ssd.

I will now try to make the samsung ssd into a bootable device, after that I will install windows 7 on the mechanical and ssd drive. If it still does not boot I will install linux once again on the ssd. If linux boots, I know I have windows on the mechanical drive and from there I will add windows 7 to the bootloader.

Beans

That fast boot feature sound more like a pain than feature to me. There should be an easier way to disable it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That fast boot feature sound more like a pain than feature to me. There should be an easier way to disable it.
    Yeah its quite insane what I have to do just to install an OS... clearly something is wrong here. I think its the UEIF bios fault, guess they dont expect people to install another OS on their laptops.

EDIT: Suddenly I cant boot from the usb anymore, installed samsungs windows on the issd. Cant boot from linux or windows boot stick.
    Last edited by Filee; October 9th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Beans

Well, I've spent over 12 hours on this and I cant fix it. I will have to send it to repair now. The repair will probably take weeks, which sucks. Maybe I can demand another laptop or the money back.

I think the bios is corrupt or bugged or something, thats the only explanation here. Everything else works ( worked)

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

EDIT: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557

It seems UEIF bricks the bios, so yeah, that is most likely the issue.
    Last edited by Filee; October 9th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

Well, I've spent over 12 hours on this and I cant fix it. I will have to send it to repair now. The repair will probably take weeks, which sucks. Maybe I can demand another laptop or the money back.

I think the bios is corrupt or bugged or something, thats the only explanation here. Everything else works ( worked)

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

EDIT: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-cdimage/+bug/1040557

It seems UEIF bricks the bios, so yeah, that is most likely the issue.
    Bummer. That's a pretty serious bug though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast