Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works

Beans

Re: AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics works !

Finally works for me too!!! (Samsung serie 7 chronos, ubuntu 12.04)
    I had to remove the ppa and reinstall the driver. All seems to work well, I can switch to intel graphic (simple with catalyst control center).

It is normal that only unity 2d works, unity 3d require more resource that integrated graphic doesn't have. (IMHO Unity 2D looks very good in this version of Ubuntu!)

Thank you very much!!!

aeronutt is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinhood View Post
    It is normal that only unity 2d works, unity 3d require more resource that integrated graphic doesn't have. ...
    On other loads (eg 11.04, Mint12) Unity3D works fine using my Intel i3 integrated graphics using open drivers (with my AMD discrete GPU turned off).

Beans

any one gets this warning?

Code:
    makezan@700Z3A:~$ sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibglx:
    update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd because associated file /usr/lib/fglrx/etc/OpenCL/vendors/amdocl32.icd (of link group x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist.
    I haven't restarted the x server just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronutt View Post
    Wow...I just tried this on Precise Beta2, and it works...almost.
    Loaded fglrx from the repositories, ran "sudo aticonfig --initial", and now catalyst runs!! (Never successful before), and switching between Intel integrated graphics and ATI grapics is as simple as:

Then to switch to integrated gpu, run
    sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    and restart X.

To Switch to discrete gpu:
    sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    and restart X.

...BUT...and the only but.
    When using integrated graphics, only Ubuntu2D works. (3D works fine with ATI GPU is selected).

Anyone have a fix for this?

Beans

On other loads (eg 11.04, Mint12) Unity3D works fine using my Intel i3 integrated graphics using open drivers (with my AMD discrete GPU turned off).
    Sorry, I didn't know that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pinguinhood View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know that.
    No worries...it does take a few tweaks to get it to work in 3D mode!

Beans

Wow...I just tried this on Precise Beta2, and it works...almost.
    Loaded fglrx from the repositories, ran "sudo aticonfig --initial", and now catalyst runs!! (Never successful before), and switching between Intel integrated graphics and ATI grapics is as simple as:

sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    and restart X.

sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    and restart X.

...BUT...and the only but.
    When using integrated graphics, only Ubuntu2D works. (3D works fine with ATI GPU is selected).

Anyone have a fix for this?
    You don't have to use fglrx or reboot. I can switch between integrated and discreet by doing the following on another thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post11780425

all you have to do is make sure you have gxmessage installed to make the script work.

I have this running on 2 different laptops with switchable graphics and it works great without requiring a reboot.
    Last edited by onefthemany; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by onefthemany View Post
    You don't have to use fglrx or reboot. I can switch between integrated and discreet by doing the following on another thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post11780425

all you have to do is make sure you have gxmessage installed to make the script work.

I have this running on 2 different laptops with switchable graphics and it works great without requiring a reboot.
    Thanks for the link. Just FYI, here's what I think I know about fglrx vs the method in the script you pointed to:
    - fglrx includes proprietary drivers which should perform better than the open drivers. Loaded fglrx is needed if you want to run the proprietary drivers. Certainly if you don't like using proprietary drivers, your method is great.
    - I do not need to reboot to use fglrx,simply restart X (eg alt-printscrn-k).
    - Just browsing the script, I saw a misspelling of a command, so I'm reluctant to depend on it. ( gnome-session-quit is spelled as gnome-sesseion-quit on one of the lines, didn't look any further at the script.)
    - I've tried vgaswitcheroo before, with no luck. Maybe it'll work for me in 12.04, but no need to use that with proprietary drivers and s/w fglrx/catalyst working.
    Last edited by aeronutt; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kfk2 View Post
    Got it working with 12.04 Precise! Didn't need any ppa, so all that trying xorg-edgers was not needed. Simply install the fglrx driver and then run:
    sudo aticonfig --initial

sudo aticonfig --px-igpu
    and restart X.

sudo aticonfig --px-dgpu
    and restart X.

Laptop is HP dv6-6100 (i7 Quad with Radeon HD 6700M and i915)

fglrx version 2:8.960-0ubuntu1
    xserver-xorg-video-intel version 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4
    Has anyone tried this on 12.4 with an ati radeon HD 5400 series laptop yet? I can only ever get low graphics mode and I have to restore the default xorg.conf so fglrx will not work, I use the fglrx driver from jokey. or perhaps link me to a compatible version for my graphics card if that is the problem.

Beans

I'm going to ask a silly question. So the intel graphics was so that we could have our laptops not discharge as fast as it does under the high power settings correct?? can anyone tell me how much their battery lives improved because mine went from 2:30 to 2:45.

second silly question, was anyone able to make this work for unity 3d.

last question how do you restart your xserver without reboot in 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I can't seem to get my intel graphics to work properly. My AMD graphics will load up just fine, but if I use catalyst to switch to intel, or if I do it via the command line with 'aticonfig --px-igpu' after I restart and login, nothing will display, it is simply the desktop wallpaper. There's no bar along the lefthand side or along the top. To fix it I just restart into the recovery mode and use 'aticonfig --px-dgpu' and then after I restart again everything is working ok.

I'm using 12.04 and have a Lenovo y470p which has a ati 7690m/intel 3000. I would really like to get the intel chip working because my battery life with the 7690m on is HORRIBLE!

I've attached a screenshot of what my catalyst shows as I'm not entirely sure what I have to type to get all of the version numbers etc. to display. I haven't used ubuntu since 7.10, so I am a bit rusty!

Also it should be noted that it is detecting that I have a 7670m, instead of 7690. Not too sure why it's doing that.

Page 10 of 89 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast