Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu in net books

Re: Ubuntu in net books

sorry, my ipad posted the same comment twice :/
    Last edited by localhost8080; November 18th, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: duplicate
    please check out my blog I have a linux tips section

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good news!

My Hp mini 110 arrived today!
    I checked and it happens to have the dual core atom. The performance is rather good.

Any suggested distributions?
    I heard that ubuntu has some issues with that wifi card and fedora runs best.

Does somebody have any experience to share in regards to Fedora?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

try 2 things peppermint is a real lightweight ubuntu distro and lubuntu which has a specific netbook option which is very fast though plain lubuntu is prettier and still fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    try 2 things peppermint is a real lightweight ubuntu distro and lubuntu which has a specific netbook option which is very fast though plain lubuntu is prettier and still fast.
    Thanks, I'll take note.

Meanwhile, I created a bootable usb stick with 12.10 and attempted to boot it up on my new netbook. I reached the installation screen in which you pick to 'try ubuntu' but after that I'm left on a black screen with a cursor flashing forever.

I suspect it might be some hardware incompatibility because that same usb stick was able to boot in my other computer with ease.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by louisgonick View Post
    Thanks, I'll take note.

Meanwhile, I created a bootable usb stick with 12.10 and attempted to boot it up on my new netbook. I reached the installation screen in which you pick to 'try ubuntu' but after that I'm left on a black screen with a cursor flashing forever.

I suspect it might be some hardware incompatibility because that same usb stick was able to boot in my other computer with ease.

Don't waist your time trying to run from the USB. It took me F O R E V E R to get it to load. Everything worked when it did load...kinda... was E X T R E M E L Y S L O W!!! I installed it. Lubuntu that is, and it was awesome. Crushed Windows and everything worked great, even the Wifi and touchscreen, which I didn't expect to work at all.

What I'm saying: Dual-boot it first to make sure it works, then go solo LUbuntu if you have no use for Windows.
    Give yourself 6 months and you will love Ubuntu too!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thanks, I'll take note.

I use Mint 13 Mate on my eeepc
    I've tried so many, it isn't even funny, but I found this to be absolutely the best.
    Having said that, Ubuntu 12.04 works well, 12.10 not so well.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Any suggested distributions?
    I heard that ubuntu has some issues with that wifi card and fedora runs best.

Does somebody have any experience to share in regards to Fedora?
    I've never had wifi issues in ubuntu, but any that would exist could only realistically be due to very new hardware and ubuntu's kernel being slightly behind, which can be sorted out by updating the kernel.

I'd recommend giving bodhi linux a look.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a two year old ASUS 1015B with AMD ALU C60 and a 6250 ATI Radeon with 2GB RAM. It runs Ubuntu 12.10 fine with latest Catalyst installed, HDMI works well, you can do basic surfing and office work and occasional light GIMP as well. Battery life is amazing six and half hours with Jupiter power management installed. All in all its a good buy. Everything works, never had issues with wi fi even with Ubuntu 11.04.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12