Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Rip and shrink DVDs with K9Copy

this program works really reeally good. I have installed the latest k9copy from website, and i can backup dvd very easily

Although, i am very curious as to how it compresses a dvd to half the size with no difference in quality. extremely good compression ?????????

Also it took me four days to figure out how to work this ::::::::

Activate support for encrypted DVDs

You need to install libdvdcss2 to have support for encrypted DVD playback. To do this, enter the following, one line at a time, in the terminal:

sudo apt-get install libdvdread3
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh

from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/K9Copy
    Last edited by Prometheus28; December 26th, 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've made about a dozen ISOs using K9copy so far, and must say that I've found it generally quite straightforward.

My aim is to create iso's of my kids DVDs to the hard disk, so that I can play them from my Ubuntu media center without searching for and loading disks. I'm using VLC to play the ISO files, which works fine. I've no desire at this point to burn to disc.

I've noticed, however, that ISOs made this way are still smaller than the original disk. I just tried k9copy on a 5GB DVD movie, with the DVD size set to 8800 MB, selected all of the features, menu's, etc and ended up with an ISO of 3.9 GB, which make me think there's some sort of compression going on. I'm wondering if there's some way of ensuring that there is no compression performed.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My son got Mr Woodcock, and not only can't play it on his linux partition, but I tried to archive it, and nothing I throw at it works. They all nut up.

Anybody have any luck with this one? If the littlest one gets hold of this disk, I don't think the dvd player upstairs will be able to read through crayon and tooth marks.

Just a guess, but that's what I think based on prior experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by John_T View Post
    I've made about a dozen ISOs using K9copy so far, and must say that I've found it generally quite straightforward.

My aim is to create iso's of my kids DVDs to the hard disk, so that I can play them from my Ubuntu media center without searching for and loading disks. I'm using VLC to play the ISO files, which works fine. I've no desire at this point to burn to disc.

I've noticed, however, that ISOs made this way are still smaller than the original disk. I just tried k9copy on a 5GB DVD movie, with the DVD size set to 8800 MB, selected all of the features, menu's, etc and ended up with an ISO of 3.9 GB, which make me think there's some sort of compression going on. I'm wondering if there's some way of ensuring that there is no compression performed.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    John_T
    After setting the ISO file size to 8800, make sure you close K9copy and then restart it. For some reason, the change does not take affect unless you restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    My son got Mr Woodcock, and not only can't play it on his linux partition, but I tried to archive it, and nothing I throw at it works. They all nut up.

Anybody have any luck with this one? If the littlest one gets hold of this disk, I don't think the dvd player upstairs will be able to read through crayon and tooth marks.

Just a guess, but that's what I think based on prior experience.
    DVDFabHDDecrypter (I think I suggested it earlier)

It works under WINE and has not yet failed to backup a disc (for me).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wjston View Post
    John_T
    After setting the ISO file size to 8800, make sure you close K9copy and then restart it. For some reason, the change does not take affect unless you restart.
    Thanks for that, but I've re-started it multiple times, and it still seems to be compressing for some reason.

I know this because I've copied discs greater than the origin 4400 MB limit. For example, I've backed up a 6 GB disc and had the result be around 5 GB (form memory, may not be exact). The DVD size was set to 8800 MB in this case, so I don't know why it felt it had to compress.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by John_T View Post
    Thanks for that, but I've re-started it multiple times, and it still seems to be compressing for some reason.

I know this because I've copied discs greater than the origin 4400 MB limit. For example, I've backed up a 6 GB disc and had the result be around 5 GB (form memory, may not be exact). The DVD size was set to 8800 MB in this case, so I don't know why it felt it had to compress.
    If your kids don't notice the difference, don't worry about it.

(OK, as geeks, it is required that we worry about it, as it is unexplained behavior... )
    Last edited by yabbadabbadont; February 8th, 2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: no spell goodly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    DVDFabHDDecrypter (I think I suggested it earlier)

It works under WINE and has not yet failed to backup a disc (for me).
    Thanks, Yab, but too late. Mr Woodcock is a coaster now.

<---- playing taps, you know...

We'll get it again some day and try it, but in the meantime, I installed the program, and have it saved on a shared drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eqisow View Post
    It seems that there is a wiki for running DVD Shrink in Wine, but no wiki for the excellent Linux native replacement for DVD Shrink, K9Copy, so I decided to create one.

The new wiki page can be found here. I will also make this the official discussion thread.
    this is gr8..... thx!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If your kids don't notice the difference, don't worry about it.
    The kids certainly don't notice at the moment. But they're 3 .8 and 1.6 YO at the moment, and we've only got a crappy 63 cm CRT TV connected on a composite output. However, what happens when I get my 40-50" LCD connected on HDMI? It could be an underage rebellion!

(OK, as geeks, it is required that we worry about it, as it is unexplained behavior... )
    Not only that, my ripping to hard disk serves 2 purposes:
    1. Start the movie within a few seconds without having to hunt for and load discs.
    2. Backup, in case we one of the critters gets their grubby hands on an original and decides to use it as a frisbee!

Mostly because of #2, I'd like to get a non-compressed digital copy. How do others manage this, can it be done with K9Copy?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast