Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Beans

Re: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    Unity is a tablet OS (Shuttleworth himself said so).

I think I'd probably like it on a tablet, but not on my desktop where I'm using MATE, which so far I'm finding excellent.
    Unity is not an OS it is a shell and UI.

Ubuntu is the Linux distro OS.

Unity, the desktop interface in today’s Ubuntu 11.10........................While the interface for each form factor is shaped appropriately
    from http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/820
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Threads about unity being a tablet interface get closed because it's been done to death.

This thread is about Mate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have used Mate for a while, because I did not like the new Unity desktop in Ubuntu. like every thing there is always room for improvement but as for mate it works rather well and is a happy medium for the new use and advanced.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by superdaveozzborn View Post
    I have used Mate for a while, because I did not like the new Unity desktop in Ubuntu. like every thing there is always room for improvement but as for mate it works rather well and is a happy medium for the new use and advanced.
    There is one problem with this, how many new users even know about mate, let alone know how to install the packages?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    There is one problem with this, how many new users even know about mate, let alone know how to install the packages?
    It's all relative eh..
    Or, to zoom out a little in our world view....

How many users even know about Ubuntu, let alone know how to install it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    Really? Can you post some links.
    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/820
    By 14.04 LTS Ubuntu will power tablets, phones, TVs and smart screens from the car to the office kitchen, and it will connect those devices cleanly and seamlessly to the desktop, the server and the cloud.
    Unity, the desktop interface in today’s Ubuntu 11.10, was designed with this specific vision in mind. While the interface for each form factor is shaped appropriately, Unity’s core elements are arranged in exactly the way we need to create coherence across all of those devices

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Threads about unity being a tablet interface get closed because it's been done to death.

This thread is about Mate.
    MATE will only ever be chosen when preferred above Unity, so references to Unity are not out of place in a thread discussing the viability and future of MATE.

Perhaps instead of closing popular, recurring topics, UF could have a forum section to move those threads to?
    Last edited by Horbo; December 29th, 2012 at 07:14 AM.

Beans

While it's open to interpretation I take this to be a positive response:

To clear things up here:

1) If MATE ends up in Debian, we'll be happy to pull it into Ubuntu "for free". I'd personally love to see people step up and get MATE 1.6 into Debian/experimental (just because a freeze is happening is no reason not to stage things for jessie)

2) While we'd prefer it in Debian first, if some Ubuntu developers step up and want to get MATE into the Ubuntu archives, we won't stand in the way of that. However, don't expect people to get excited about doing this for you, or to maintain the results. We'd need a firm commitment from the people doing the packaging and uploading that they intend to continue maintaining it. Desktop environments bitrot fast without active maintenance.

As a member of the Ubuntu Release Team, I have zero issues with MATE being in Ubuntu, or even a MATE-based image flavour, but one of the above two conditions (ideally the first) needs to be met.
    Source:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+b...75/comments/12

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No practical reason to use anything else than Xfce (Xubuntu). Really.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

The one thing I do know about many Linux users is that they like to moan, complain and demand that Linux works just the way that they want it to but someone else has to do the work to make it so.
    Hey, wanna do all the work yourself to get your Linux to operate exactly the way you want it to, go for Arch, Gentoo, or LFS.

Although you can set up Ubuntu or Debian exactly how you want it set up too, assuming there's still a minimal install option for Ubuntu, and I know there's a minimal install option for Debian.

Beans

And I wouldn't mind MATE in Ubuntu, it would be a nice option alongside Unity, GNOME Shell, KDE, LXDE, Xfce, and Cinnamon.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast