Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use an ISO file without burning it to a disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is it possible to use an ISO file without burning it to a disk?

Quote Originally Posted by zeekoman View Post
    What about Wubi?
    "Wubi is an officially supported Ubuntu installer for Windows users that can bring you to the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other Windows application, in a simple and safe way. Are you curious about Linux and Ubuntu? Trying them out has never been easier!"

http://wubi-installer.org/
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 now, I need to install Windows 7 for school stuff...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

well Wine can get some windows apps to run in linux and openoffice will read and edit .doc files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by I8NY View Post
    well Wine can get some windows apps to run in linux and openoffice will read and edit .doc files
    Wine isn't working right... I need google sketchup, and when I run it it just closes...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

well Blender 3D will do pro 3d modeling and it supports many 3d format files. google usaly makes linux version of it's apps but not sketchup. well i bet a friend could give a blank dvd to use, i'm out of ideas.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by I8NY View Post
    well Blender 3D will do pro 3d modeling and it supports many 3d format files. google usaly makes linux version of it's apps but not sketchup. well i bet a friend could give a blank dvd to use, i'm out of ideas.
    Haha, it's ok... and Blender was very confusing to use :3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi there ,

You can try installing windows to a harddrive partition from within Vmware (similar to virtualbox). You just have to select a physical partition in the custom creation of the virtual machine . I don't know if such an option is available with virtualbox.

If it isn't available in virtualbox , i recommend installing vmware . You could try obtaining vmware "legally" from a torrent as u did with windows 7 .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by theneoindian View Post
    Hi there ,

You can try installing windows to a harddrive partition from within Vmware (similar to virtualbox). You just have to select a physical partition in the custom creation of the virtual machine . I don't know if such an option is available with virtualbox.

If it isn't available in virtualbox , i recommend installing vmware . You could try obtaining vmware "legally" from a torrent as u did with windows 7 .
    I already have Windows 7 on VirtualBox, I just want a full install so I can print stuff...

Beans
    Distro

GASP! I found a blank disk in my house! But it doesn't have enough memory... Is there any way to like, transfer memory from a USB stick to a CD or something like that?

Beans

^I don't think that it's possible to split an iso like that.

---

In theory, I think that if you were to extract the iso to a new partition and boot from it, you could boot into the Windows 7 installer. You'd probably need to create an NTFS partition beforehand so that Windows would have a partition to install to. After installation, you'd need to delete the partition that contained the iso files and expand the Windows partition.

However, as with many things, what seems good in theory will be riddled with intricacies and possible errors everywhere down the line. This is, however, a risk you run when using "legal" methods to obtain files.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by freeze10108 View Post
    ^I don't think that it's possible to split an iso like that.

---

In theory, I think that if you were to extract the iso to a new partition and boot from it, you could boot into the Windows 7 installer. You'd probably need to create an NTFS partition beforehand so that Windows would have a partition to install to. After installation, you'd need to delete the partition that contained the iso files and expand the Windows partition.

However, as with many things, what seems good in theory will be riddled with intricacies and possible errors everywhere down the line. This is, however, a risk you run when using "legal" methods to obtain files.
    Not really splitting the ISO, just transferring memory from a USB stick to a CD... So say the USB stick has 2 GB of memory... and the disk has 1 GB... Would it be possible to transfer the 2 GB of memory from the USB stick to the disk making it have 3 GB of memory?
    But I shall try doing what you said...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast