Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Beans

Re: Asus Eee PC 1015PN - graphic cards: Optimus and ION

Hi mtron.

I have a question: I would like to encrypt my whole system + all partitions I have on the 1015PN. Does your tool still work under such conditions? Have you ever tried to encrypt the system? Which Ubuntu version should I take?

Thanks for some advices ... .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello!

It should work just fine on oneiric with the latest version. If not, please send me a bugreport via the gui.

Best,
    mtron

Beans

Hey mtron!

Yesterday i decided to give ubuntu a new chance on my 1015pn.
    i installed Xubuntu 11.10 (home is encripted), updated whole system and followed your steps to install vga-selector.
    but somehow there are some problems. first thing was that the acpi module was build in the wrong direction (was put in lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/..., not in lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/...).
    at first i thought acpi build failed so i did it manually

the other thing is that the gui does not work fine, my desktop environment is not supported (xfce?)- fallback menue!
    but which one are really supported? gnome?

btw. the script display-settings itself works fine good job!

Beans
    Distro

first thing was that the acpi module was build in the wrong direction (was put in lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic/..., not in lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/...)
    oh. very strange... the acpi_call dkms is not my work. it's build by martin juhl but i will have a look if i can find the bug. Wondering why you are the only one who got hit by this malfunction. Can you please find & post the dkms build log so i can debug this?

my desktop environment is not supported (xfce?)
    the xfce support was added by an external contributor, so it seems he/she missed a desktop session stanza. Those are different depending on the install method. (Xubuntu iso has a different desktop session stanza than a regular ubuntu iso install with xfce packages installed on top of it. Don't ask me why...)

Anyway, to fix this please open a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    Last edited by mtron; January 26th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

Code:
    echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
    xubuntu
    I will also install lxde, maybe the gui is working there

but where can i find this dkms build log file?

Thanks,..!

*edit:

wow damn you're right, there is a "xubuntu" session and a "xfce" session, too. in xfce there is no problem with the gui

After installing lubuntu from the official sources i got three more sessions! In "Lubuntu" and "LXDE" the gui works, except in "Lubuntu-Netbook", but that does not matter its a really ugly desktop
    Last edited by red-flex; January 26th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

ok, Thanks. I have added the other stanza for xfce. Could you please also post the $DESKTOP_SESSION output for Lubuntu-Netbook login session?

Quote Originally Posted by red-flex View Post
    but where can i find this dkms build log file?
    taken from the ubuntu dkms wiki page :

If there are problems with failed DKMS builds and the /var/lib/dkms/${PKG_NAME}/${PKG_VERSION}/build/make.log is almost empty of useful information add the make debug option (-d) to the dkms.conf MAKE="" configurations.

That'll ensure make reports everything it is doing to the log-file.

Cheers!
    Last edited by mtron; January 26th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

mtron, thank you so much for all your help to others with their 1015PNs.

I'm running xubuntu 11.10. I've tried to follow the steps on your "making it rock" page but it would never output to hdmi. (everytime I reboot with nvidia selected, nvidia doesn't load and when I start it it says the intel GPU is being used)

1. I too am getting "my desktop is not supported". I just added the repo and installed acpitool so I thought it would now be since you added the stanza.

2. Do I have to have my laptop screen enabled as in the instructions? My tv is my only needed display (the laptop sits behind it).

3. Do I want to follow "https://sites.google.com/site/mtrons/howtos/eeepc-1015pn#TOC-Install-Ubuntu" or some post in this thread?

The whole reason I bought a new laptop was to be able to display HD video quality on my tv (by linux). I'm so grateful you are making this possible.

I'm willing to fresh install if need be with xubuntu or ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Hello!

To fix the gui for xubuntu copy & paste the following in a terminal session while you are logged in your Desktop Enviroment:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/bin/vga-selector-gui
    Change the line 658 (close to the end of the file) to read:
    Code:
    elif [[ $DESKTOP_SESSION = 'xfce' || $DESKTOP_SESSION = 'xubuntu' ]]; then
    this will add support for the xubuntu login session.

everytime I reboot with nvidia selected, nvidia doesn't load and when I start it it says the intel GPU is being used
    Once you got the fix from above, open the Vga-Selector, click on the 'Advanced' button and double click on the lines 'Generate Debug info' and 'Log to File'. (both status icons will turn green).

Now please try once again to set the vga mode for the next boot to nvidia, reboot and if it still does not use nvidia run
    Code:
    sudo display-settings status
    from a terminal and send me the bugreport.

To do this either configure Thunderbird to send and receive Mail and use the inbuilt Bug Report Function ( Vga Selector - Advanced - Report Bug ) or attach the files /var/log/acpi-call.log and $HOME/eee1015pn-debug.txt here in the forum.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks mtron, I will try to get to this very soon.

Can you also respond to questions 2 and 3 please? thank you

Beans
    Distro

I did the edit and finally saw the interface you developed. Very nice!

Set it to reboot with nVidia and it did. I opened VGA selector again it said I was using nVidia.
    But when I went to terminal with sudo display-settings status nothing happened. No error and no text, just another prompt.

So I went into nvidia settings and changed my tv to separate x display, saved the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.asus1015pn.nvidia with merge checked, went into vga selector to set nvidia to start on reboot, rebooted, but it ignores my settings and tv goes back to disabled.

I'm open to suggestions and looking forward to your answers to 2 and 3 of my previous post. Thanks.

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast