Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Use FreeNX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How To Use FreeNX

I've managed to install FreeNX. I've got that part figured out by following this. The Server and client packages are installed on the respective Ubu boxes which are some miles away from each other. I need to connect over the internet but what do I enter in all the configuration boxes. All the guides I can find via Google are about installing the server and client applications, then...........stop!

What goes in the configuration boxes please??

TIA.

Mark
    Last edited by mapes12; August 18th, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How To Use FreeNX

If you are talking about the configuration boxes for the client, then basically all you really need to specify is the Host name or IP address of the server you are connecting to and what Desktop environment which I would assume for you would be Unix and Gnome. Everything else the default setting should be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cgb View Post
    If you are talking about the configuration boxes for the client, then basically all you really need to specify is the Host name or IP address of the server you are connecting to and what Desktop environment which I would assume for you would be Unix and Gnome. Everything else the default setting should be fine.
    Thank you.

How does the host name or IP address (which is a private LAN address behind a router) manage to get from the client to the server over the internet and where private IP addresses (class C starting 192 in my case) of the same number will be everywhere behind other network LAN's?

I also found this on the forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=467219 but I would need to be a CL wizard to understand it (which I'm not).
    Last edited by mapes12; August 18th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro

Well you would enter your WAN IP address or WAN hostname if you have one. Configuration will need to be made on the Router to forward port 22 to your appropriate internal IP address or you could setup a VPN connection to connect to your private network and use your internal address with the NX client.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: How To Use FreeNX

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    Thank you.

How does the host name or IP address (which is a private LAN address behind a router) manage to get from the client to the server over the internet and where private IP addresses (class C starting 192 in my case) of the same number will be everywhere behind other network LAN's?
    FreeNX runs on a custom version of SSH, so you will need to forward TCP port 22 from your router to the machines you wish to access remotely.

Please see this thread about logging into an already running session as i know i had trouble finding that to begin with too.

Hope that helps?
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB )1333MHz DDR3
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
    Mobo: XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cgb View Post
    Well you would enter your WAN IP address or WAN hostname if you have one. Configuration will need to be made on the Router to forward port 22 to your appropriate internal IP address or you could setup a VPN connection to connect to your private network and use your internal address with the NX client.
    Thank you.

I can find out my WAN i.e. ISP assigned address here: http://whatismyipaddress.com/

You mention
    Configuration will need to be made on the Router
    Does that mean I have to go into the admin section of my router with my browser and change some of the settings please? And which router, client or server?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, you will need to go into the admin mode by logging into the Router via the IP address entered into your browser locally. This change would need to be made on the Servers router and not the clients.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

FreeNX runs on a custom version of SSH, so you will need to forward TCP port 22 from your router to the machines you wish to access remotely.
    Thank you.

How do you do this please?
    Last edited by mapes12; August 18th, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mapes just log into your router via a web browser and under the Port Forwarding section enter your internal IP (you may need to assign your server a static IP if your router doesnt support doing it by MAC address).

If you are not sure how to do anything above, find out the make and model of your router and go to portforward.com
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB )1333MHz DDR3
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
    Mobo: XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI

Beans
    Distro

This depends on your Router. Once logged into your Servers Router you will need to look for a section called Port Forwarding and create a new entry with the nxServer's IP address and port 22 listed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast