Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Screen brightness on a Compaq Laptop Hardy 8.04

Beans

Re: HowTo: Screen brightness on a Compaq Laptop Hardy 8.04

Thankyou very much .. woked for me

Beans

I have also HP 6530b laptop and screen brightness do not work for me!
    I have file /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD04/brightness, but echoing a number to it does not work!!!
    Please help anyone! I don't know what to do!

Beans

WaterDemon, could you list the existing contents of your brightness file and the commands you've used to write a new number into the file, and could you also expand a little on what "doesn't work" means? Are you seeing the same behavior as Megakazbek, where your write does change the number reported as "Current:" but does not change the actual backlight brightness?

Beans

flabdablet, I have everything exactly as described in post of Megakazbek. Contents of brightness file is the same, I wirte number to it with "echo -n xx > brightness" command, Current number changes but brightness stays the same!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: HowTo: Screen brightness on a Compaq Laptop Hardy 8.04

ChrisMP1, tried your way, my brightness adjusting keys are now working perfectly, running 8.04 in a HP G7000 (low budget series).

Thanks 4 sharing knowledge.
    Last edited by s3kt0r; November 2nd, 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: countrylane, thanks for creating this thread.
    s3kt0r: change can't be stopped.
    Ubuntu usr #25761
    current setup: Arch(i686)

Beans

Meanwhile, Ubuntu 8.10 is finally released, but the brightness issue still remains. I've been told that Ubuntu community is really helpful, so a whopping total of ZERO replies that I've received with my problem here over 2 weeks is really not at all what I expected.
    What's the problem, guys? Is there some additional information required to look into the issue? I'll be glad to provide it, just say what exactly is needed. Maybe I posted my problem in a wrong place? I'm not even looking for a super-detailed step-by-step resolution guide, I will gladly accept even the slightest hints, suggestions or ideas. I'm just really new to Linux, so I can't manually resolve such issues and don't understand some things. For example, how does 'brightness' file appear under /proc filesystem? Why it appears in different places on different machines? What exactly happens internally when I write a number to the brightness file, i.e. how this file communicates with the physical LCD display?
    Is there some place where I could read about such things?

Beans

I think the problem is that this is a community forum, frequented by ordinary Ubuntu users just like you and me, and nobody who has the same model of laptop as you has yet figured out how to make it go. The forums are really good for exchanging workarounds, but they're not so good at getting actual bugs fixed.

It looks like there are several current brightness-related kernel bugs. If I were you, I'd look through those for behaviour that matched what I was seeing, and track the appropriate bug; if nothing matches, report a new kernel bug.

Beans

Hi guys, got the HP 6530b like Megakazbek, WaterDemon.

I'm cracking my head on this hotkeys issue.
    But unfortunately I have only few time to dedicate to it.

Any news?

Beans

Got something based on this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/284319

Under my hp6530b I created this file
    Code:
    /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/30-keymap-private.fdi
    its content is:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>

<match key="@input.originating_device:info.linux.driver" string="atkbd">
          <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.vendor" prefix="Hewlett-Packard">
            <match key="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer:system.hardware.product" contains="6530b">
              <!-- HP Compaq 6530b -->
              <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e012:brightnessdown</append> <!-- FnF9 (brightness down) -->
              <append key="input.keymap.data" type="strlist">e017:brightnessup</append> <!-- FnF10 (brightness up) -->
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    </deviceinfo>
    Restarted and now I have the icon working when pressing brightness hotkeys, but brightness still not works.

Then in a shell tried to:
    Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native
    And brightness with hotkeys is working.

The only problem now is that decreasing brightness to zero, breaks something and you can't raise brightness anymore on the laptop screen.

I was lucky that I had a 2nd monitor attached and i could revert the problem setting the control back to the kernel with this command:

Code:
    xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL kernel
    Hope this helped a litte... still waiting for a final solution.

Beans

Thanks, super764! I've got an HP 2230s and that got the backlight controls working. But how do I make the xrandr setting permanent? The BACKLIGHT_CONTROL setting resets to kernel on restart.

However, I'm also seeing the spontaneous screen dimming problem mentioned in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=972323 Kind of makes it unusable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast