Thread: Flash Player (flashplugin-nonfree) does not register clicks in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Flash Player (flashplugin-nonfree) does not register clicks in 10.04

The Adobe Flash Player plugin for Firefox (packages "flashplugin-installer" and "flashplugin-nonfree") plays videos and other content absolutely fine, but it refuses to register any mouse clicks at all, even in the "settings" menu. This is obviously more than a little annoying - not only does it make YouTube and the like almost totally unusable, it also effectively breaks any website that uses SWF content as menus.

I've purged and reinstalled Firefox and the flash plugin multiple times to no avail - I had hoped that the recent update would fix this issue, but alas, it did not. I'm using SwfDec right now, which works, but is pretty terrible compared to the real thing. Gnash isn't any better...

So... has anybody else encountered this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by WinstonChurchill; July 8th, 2010 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Remove irrelevant dmesg attachment

Beans

Re: Flash Player (flashplugin-nonfree) does not register clicks in 10.04

I am having this problem too and have tried the same things as you. That's the limit of my knowledge. It works occasionally, but I have to click like 5/6 times in quick succession to register one click. Youtube work is just, well, a pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's a compiz problem, disable or remove it.

Beans

Hi,

most problems related to Flash and Firefox vanishes using Chrome or Opera. Anyone knows why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Flash Player (flashplugin-nonfree) does not register clicks in 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by cchhrriiss121212 View Post
    It's a compiz problem, disable or remove it.
    BRILLIANT! Thank you!

EDIT: Just to clarify what I removed:
    Code:
    $ sudo aptitude purge compiz
    $ sudo aptitude purge compiz-gnome
    $ sudo aptitude purge compiz-core
    Works just fine now. Removing those packages didn't effect anything else on the system.
    Last edited by WinstonChurchill; July 8th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

I use desktop cube and various other compiz settings... surely this will get rid of those to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was also having the problem that flash would not register my mouse clicks, and I am not running compiz (Appearance->Visual Effects is set to none), so the above solution is not applicable. However, I found a solution that does seem to work for me (and maybe it will help people use both flash and compiz simultaneously): http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/200...in-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lozt.again View Post
    I use desktop cube and various other compiz settings... surely this will get rid of those to?
    Yes. There should be ways to get around this (as unperson shows) but I don't remember exactly what settings cause the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by unperson View Post
    I was also having the problem that flash would not register my mouse clicks, and I am not running compiz (Appearance->Visual Effects is set to none), so the above solution is not applicable. However, I found a solution that does seem to work for me (and maybe it will help people use both flash and compiz simultaneously): http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/200...in-ubuntu.html
    This usually happens when you are using the 32bit plugin on a 64bit system. That fix solves the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cchhrriiss121212 View Post
    Yes. There should be ways to get around this (as unperson shows) but I don't remember exactly what settings cause the issue.
    Luckily for me I'm using 64bit, so, whoopy!!!! Solved!

Really didn't want to get rid of those compiz desktop effects and such.